How long does grain stay fresh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
I bought some grain almost three weeks ago intending to brew, but never did. Now i'm wondering if they are still good. Has anybody had experience brewing with grains that were a few weeks old. I crushed them at the brewshop, since then they have been sitting in my room temperature kitchen in a paper bag. Thanks

Fresh is probably better, but I wouldn't worry about it. I need to buy ingredients in advance (no LHBS within a thousand miles) so I store my ingredients for a while. I put the grain and hops into the freezer but I'd still go for it and brew with what you have.

They say that crushed grain goes stale fast smell it and if it smells good its still good.

whole grain stays fresh for quite a while when stored correctly and if by "fresh" you mean stored in a grain bin for month(s), bagged and shipped to a distributor, then stored a little bit longer, then bought by your LHBS shipped again and stored there until you can along and bought it and took it home ...you mean that freshness? :D

If you grind your grains and try to store them they will go stale rather quickly I have held onto crushed grains for 4-5 days before using them and I would suggest going no more than a week or so w/o using them before they start noticeably losing their freshness IMO.

You can still brew and make beer with them, you just will not get the same flavors out of the same grain if it were freshly crushed ...it will be diminished to a degree.

if your grain does seem stale to you just add more hops! ...a stale pale ale?

whole grain stays fresh for quite a while when stored correctly and if by "fresh" you mean stored in a grain bin for month(s), bagged and shipped to a distributor, then stored a little bit longer, then bought by your LHBS shipped again and stored there until you can along and bought it and took it home ...you mean that freshness? :D

If you grind your grains and try to store them they will go stale rather quickly I have held onto crushed grains for 4-5 days before using them and I would suggest going no more than a week or so w/o using them before they start noticeably losing their freshness IMO.

You can still brew and make beer with them, you just will not get the same flavors out of the same grain if it were freshly crushed ...it will be diminished to a degree.

if your grain does seem stale to you just add more hops! ...a stale pale ale?

How do you correctly store non-crushed grain?

I empty 50lb sacks into 18 gallon rubbermaid containers.

Fresh is probably better, but I wouldn't worry about it. I need to buy ingredients in advance (no LHBS within a thousand miles) so I store my ingredients for a while. I put the grain and hops into the freezer but I'd still go for it and brew with what you have.

Yes, I can see that Yellowknife might be a ways from the nearest LHBS. Do you buy most of your stuff mail order?

Back