Hey, Did I Screw the Pooch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
Just made my very first batch of cider last night. I just poured the dry yeast into the carboy...right out of the pack. Is that bad?? Something is growing on the top of the fermentation, but is that just fungus or some other bad stuff? It's at room temp (70F).

Sorry, but I was just reading something about "rehydrating" dry yeast and it hit me that maybe I left out a step.

Blue:confused:

Only the dog knows for sure...

I've pitched dry yeast onto wort and apple juice in the past with no problems...
(In other words it'll be fine RDWHAH)

That said you should rehydrate first...

I dunno...unzip your pants, take a look down at your crotchial area, and tell me if you see a bunch of dog hair. If so, then, yeah, you probably f*cked a dog.

Your cider is fine, the stuff growing on top is "krausen", it's supposed to be there, it's from the yeast.

You pitched last night, then what you have growing is called Krauzen, think of it as little yeast houses...in other words you are fine!

(for one thing you can't get fungal growth overnight.)

Yes, in the future rehydrating is a good practice to use...but a lot of people just sprinkle their dry yeast on top...

I dunno...unzip your pants, take a look down at your crotchial area, and tell me if you see a bunch of dog hair. If so, then, yeah, you probably f*cked a dog.

Your cider is fine, the stuff growing on top is "krausen", it's supposed to be there, it's from the yeast.

*copies Evan's comment and heads off to the quotes thread!*

OK, guys, thanks. Guess I'm was a bit too nervous...first time and all...sorta like thinking later that you shoulda kissed the girl first. Time to have a brew--according to at least one expert!

Blue

I remember the same feeling on my first batch. But I pitched in when the ambiant temperature was 58 degrees in my basement. It took several days of scratching and worrying that I blew it too.

It turned out great.

You pitched last night, then what you have growing is called Krauzen, think of it as little yeast houses...in other words you are fine!

(for one thing you can't get fungal growth overnight.)

Yes, in the future rehydrating is a good practice to use...but a lot of people just sprinkle their dry yeast on top...
Yeast is a fungus ;)

Back