culturing yeast from Westmalle Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it worth a shot to culture this yeast from the bottle ?? Or should I just buy a 3787 and use that ?? I haven't done this before. How long will it take to get a big enough starter for a batch of beer ??

I am planning on washing the yeast afterwards. I have done this with a couple already, and it works great.

Thanks

I can't believe I didn't get one response. Oh well.

I got some DME and boiled up a cup in some water, cooled it, and poured about 4 oz. into the bottle it came in, and shook it up really well, then capped it with a piece of aluminum foil. (sanitized) This morning I had a small kreusen head on each. I had also bought a Trappistes Rochefort 8, and I am culturing that yeast also.

One question, are those the same yeast ?? I haven't been able to find an answer.

I have since done some further investigation. The Westmalle Dubbel has the 3787 yeast. Where the Trappistes Rochefort 8 uses a 1762 yeast. Not sure the differences, but that's what I found out.

That's a pretty interesting idea. Never thought of stealing a comercial brewers yeast strain by using the yeast from the bottle.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

The only thing I can think to tell you is that some breweries don't use the same yeast for bottle conditioning, so you may be getting a more generic strain if you culture. I'd go with the 3787---or better yet, the 1762 (the best yeast strain on the planet).

Last I heard, Westmalle does bottle with their primary yeast. I've never had any luck using dregs from a bottle though. Considering everything that yeast has been through since it was bottled, I'm not surprised.

According to Brew Like A Monk, Westmalle is the source for both Wyeast 3787 and WLP530. However, the book does note that "while [the lab] may have kept its [strain] much the same in the years since it was taken from [the brewery], [the brewery's] itself likely changed."

I just thought I would give an update on my propagation of the Westmalle yeast, from a bottle of dubbel.

It has taken some time, but I have some really good activity in my Westmalle yeast. They must have been really sleepy. I have been adding a small amount of wort, to my half gallon jug. I am going to let it go for another few days before adding the next addition of wort.

I also have been trying to do the same thing with a Trappiste Rochefort 8. I am not having much luck with this one. I may end up boiling that one off, and using the wort to add th the Westmalle yeast.

Just thought I would let everybody know that I have had success in propagating the yeast from an imported bottle of Belgian Ale.

Later,

Bombo80 said:
I just thought I would give an update on my propagation of the Westmalle yeast, from a bottle of dubbel.

It has taken some time, but I have some really good activity in my Westmalle yeast. They must have been really sleepy. I have been adding a small amount of wort, to my half gallon jug. I am going to let it go for another few days before adding the next addition of wort.

I also have been trying to do the same thing with a Trappiste Rochefort 8. I am not having much luck with this one. I may end up boiling that one off, and using the wort to add th the Westmalle yeast.

Just thought I would let everybody know that I have had success in propagating the yeast from an imported bottle of Belgian Ale.

Later,

Where did you get your W12 recipe? Have you made it before? Did you use 3787? Thanks!

I bought the Beer Captured book, the last time I was picking up supplies, and cross referenced that with a few others I found on the net.

YES, I did use the 3787 yeast. I am transferring that batch tonight, and have my yeast washing jars, and water, already sterilized, and cooled down. I need to move into the glycol freezing step next. I have lots of washed yeast in my fridge.

Bombo80 said:
Here are a few web addresses I found for the Westy 12 clone recipe .....

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/397475

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=27931

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/vie...ghlight=&sid=79d48d973533cd7c63e213db57139f88

http://www.suckerfish.net/~matt/beer/blog/archives/000149.html

After looking at all of these, I pretty much split any differences between them, and came up with my recipe.. But it was pretty much identical to the one from Beer Captured.

Thanks very much for the information.

Back