What's with all the random German vocab in the homebrewing world?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard them say "was" like "voss". that sort of thing. One of these days,I'll learn the language of my sirname. Pop's side is from upper bavaria in this medium size town the wall ran through the middle of.

unionrdr said:
I've heard them say "was" like "voss". that sort of thing. One of these days,I'll learn the language of my sirname. Pop's side is from upper bavaria in this medium size town the wall ran through the middle of.

Haha. The dialect in Bavaria is hard to understand. One of my friends said that he cannot understand what they say. AND HE IS GERMAN!!!

Haha, man (said playfully)
No German would say saugt to describe something. It is a verb, not an adjective. The infinitive is saugen and means to suck. Suck like a vacuum cleaner sucks up dirt.

Also, the Wie would be short for "Wie, bitte?" And would mean something like "how can you say something like that?!?!" in that context.

Not calling you out so don't take offense :)

Some earlier posters have tried calling people out but were also wrong. I don't like that :)

No offense taken. I'm not by any means fluent in German so I looked up the "Bier saugt" line just for something to use as an example. Thanks for explaining the "Wie" part; just goes to show how words, concepts, and idioms don't usually translate, which is the point of this whole thread, isn't it? :mug:

Cathedral said:
No offense taken. I'm not by any means fluent in German so I looked up the "Bier saugt" line just for something to use as an example. Thanks for explaining the "Wie" part; just goes to show how words, concepts, and idioms don't usually translate, which is the point of this whole thread, isn't it? :mug:

Oh good. I'm glad I didn't come off like a huge dick.

It's hard. So many things in German do not translate directly and that makes learning it tough.

BTW you could say:
Bier schmeckt wie scheisse. :) (aber wissen wir dass dies nicht stimmt :))

Better get ready for those 1L curls too. Good for the arms.
Seriously though,I want to go visit the city of my ancestors that I've traced back to 1600. And speaking the language at least conversationally would be nice.

Because Frühschoppen just sounds sooooo much better.

Je ne comprend pas varoom der ist eine problem mit cerveza en allemande. Das bier use gesund, zu jeder stund!

I don't really understand the German thing since SEVERAL countries have contributed to the "modern day invention" of Beer.

Following this logic each type would have its own vernacular.
But then again maybe I don't really get it since the only 2 words I know in German are

virgin.......gudntite
Prostitute.......vrotencrotchen

Yooper said:
Well, if you could give a better word for krausen than that, it would be useful. The thing is, vorlauf, lauter and krausen really have no single word synonyms to use. One word totally describes exactly what you mean.

Other hobbies have specialized words, too. SCUBA, sailing, backpacking, etc- they all use words maybe not in the common vernacular. I don't sail, but I have friends who talk about "jibs", "masts", etc. I'm sure they could say "the triangle triangular staysail that sets ahead of the foremast" for "jib" but that would really be silly if they meant "jib" all along.

Krausen is just krausen. But you can call it "the foamy head on the beer comprised of yeast and proteins during fermentation" if the word krausen is bothersome. :D

Then there is krausening, which is done with wort, not krausen.

TD

c13.jpg

German is a very commanding language. I think it only fits for a very demanding hobby.

When I lived in a very small apartment, my phone was out all of the time.

I had daily phone calls to the phone company. Remember this was 30 years before cell phones, so I'd have to bother a neighbor who had a phone so I could call and argue with the phone company.

The conversation always started with "das fernsprecher ist kaputt".

My neighbor always opened the door.

Last night I ate some thin noodles covered with tomato sauce and Italian herbs, it was excellent. I followed it up with a thin layer of dough, covered in tomato sauce and cheese, with that long skinny dried italian meat. Also excellent. Washed it all down with a fermented beverage made from barley, hops, water, and yeast!

hahaha yess. what i was searching for in this thread. in korea, im always annoyed when koreans try to explain a food as something like "soup with potatoes and porkbone" (which doesn't accurately explain it really) when everyone who's been here longer than a week knows the korean name haejangguk. i try to explain that they should take command of their food vocabulary, as for example we don't say "thin layer of dough with tomato sauce and cheese"

Latest posts

Back