Anatomy of the pour.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pperrydawg

Reaction score
So I've had my Kolsch in bottles now for almost 2 weeks. I posted earlier that I tried one a week ago and it was already carbed up fairly well and had a pretty good taste. Well, I tried another last night and it was even better and very close to what I would call a pretty darn good beer. A couple questions came to mind though. First, when I usually pour my regular Coors light into a glass, I try and pour as quietly as possible which produces very little head. Thats just the way I like it. Should I pour the same way with my home-brews? Would more head bring out taste and aroma that I would miss out on with my normal method? If so, what is the best way to pour?

pour it how you like it.

I like to fill the glass to the top with head so the head is flush with the rim of the glass. I usually pour a quick pour right down the middle to gauge how much carbonation I'm getting from this specific beer and then I usually pour aggressively down the side. I pour down the middle if there is little carbonation or slowly down the side if there is a lot of carbonation.

Send me some of your beers and I will try each of them with a different pour technique and report back my findings

;)

When I pour my homebrews, I usually tilt the glass for a smooth pour until the bottles about half empty. Then I straighten out the glass and pour the bottle into the center of the glass which usually leaves me with a nice creamy head that's nearly overflowing the glass. I find this to be the best method for me, it gives me a nice thick head. i do think it comes down to personal prefferance though.

Ha Ha Remman4! Nice try!

I guess too each his own is probably the best policy on the pouring. I do like hearing the different methods. I might try a few of them just to see how I like it.

I have found that I pour my different beers differently. Some of then do not have a very big head and I want as much as I can get with them so I pour aggressively. Others pour with what I consider too much so I pour them very gently.

Pour for what gives you what you like!:ban:

When I pour my homebrews, I usually tilt the glass for a smooth pour until the bottles about half empty. Then I straighten out the glass and pour the bottle into the center of the glass which usually leaves me with a nice creamy head that's nearly overflowing the glass. I find this to be the best method for me, it gives me a nice thick head. i do think it comes down to personal prefferance though.

Does this not give you a lot of sediment in your glass?

No,not if the beer has been chilled about a week,1st off. This compacts the yeast dregs more tightly on the bottom of the bottle. Secondly,do not let the beer go "glub glub" as you start the pour. Pour slowly at first till you get some room in the bottle to pour faster. This keeps the beer from getting stirred up at the beginning. Then continue whichever pouring method. When the yeast dregs move up to the shoulder of the bottle,stop pouring. Your beer will be nice & clear.:mug:

I pour quietly along the side to keep the sediment on the bottom (unless it is one that enjoys the clumps, like a good bavarian hefe). If your priming is correct to style, this should give a nice head; when it does not, I use a chopstick to swirl the beer in the glass which produces a nice creamy head.

TarVolon said:
Does this not give you a lot of sediment in your glass?

No, like unionrdr said, you're creating enough room for a more agressive pour. You will learn with time to pour out 99.99% of your beer and only leave behind a teaspoon of liquid plus sediment.

Back