Multiple Yeasts for Complexity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatspin

Reaction score
Okay, so I probably should have asked this before making the beer, but I'll ask now anyways. I made a Belgian beer last weekend and added two different strains of dry yeast (S-33 and T-58), hoping to add one more element of complexity to the beer.

My question is, will this actually have any effect on the flavor/complexity of the beer, or will one strain tend to dominate? I added both strains after cooling the wort, and I've read in a few places on this site that staggered additions might work better, but that doesn't make sense to me since the first yeast will have a chance to increase in population and eat all the fermentables fairly quickly.

I've always enjoyed doing experiments with my beer, and I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas that I thought would make a good test.

I'm thinking that I can make the wort and split it into 3 fermenters. One would have yeast A, one would have yeast B, and the third would have a combination of both. Has anyone tried an experiment like this, and if so, how did it turn out?

Aren't Belgians already complex enough? :)... I've read and heard that typically one strain will still dominate the flavor profile. I think maybe the only way to add complexity is to rack to a secondary and add some more fermentables and then pitch the second strain of yeast after the first has fallen out of suspension. This would allow the 2nd strain to divide and ferment placing there "stamp" on the brew.

Having a Belgian too complex is like having an IPA with too much hops! I have heard the theory that you mentioned of adding yeast and fermentables at secondary. I figured that if I did that, the original yeast would have had quite the head start reproducing the original beer, so they would take over the secondary fermentation as well. But on the other hand, a lot of the original yeast may have fallen out of suspension and settled to the bottom, so if the fermenter isn't shaken than the new yeast will be able to eat most of the fermentables. I love how many variables go into each decision in making beer!

I did a tripel and used two yeasts and it turned out great. I used 3787 and 1214. You could taste each yeast but the 3787 was a little more prominent. If I was to do it again I would pitch the 1214 first, because it is usually slower to start, and the the 3787 about 8 hours later.

Not an expert, but I'd think the results will be unpredictable. Maybe making two smaller batches and blending them to taste before bottling would achieve the intended result.

Back