What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DisturbdChemist said:
Having BCBG pumpkin saison

Nice spice to it. Pretty dry being a saison is good. Little funk not a lot. I like it. Its balanced good spiced saison

Nice, glad you like it. I don't really call it a saison since it doesn't really taste like one to me, but it's tasty whatever it is.

Drinking FW Walker's Reserve Porter. Great beer at the right price.

Hello said:
Actually, I wish I could but here's a thought. I boil water, take it off the stove and set the bottles in there. Of course, it is cold and the water gets cool over time. How come I cannot load up 170F water into my igloo cooler (where I ferment beer) and toss some bottles in, close the lid, and call it a day? Then the water stays fairly even temp and that hot of water should be okay because people use similar coolers as mash tuns, right?

I've heard of people pasteurizing in a cooler. Preheat with hot water, add bottles, dump water and add new hot water to bring back up to temp.

I've heard of people pasteurizing in a cooler. Preheat with hot water, add bottles, dump water and add new hot water to bring back up to temp.
I figured it will let me pasteurize more at once. Even if I have to reheat water a couple of times, it is better than 3 bottles at a time at 10-15 minutes per.
Just depends how confident you are a explosion wouldnt leave any glass bits embedded in the cooler to fall into your next brew. Now having hard tea while attending to almost done batch of Skeeter Pee

See above. What I meant was add water to cooler then bottles to hot water. I ferment in plastic carboys or buckets and use the cooler as swamp coolers.

I figured it will let me pasteurize more at once. Even if I have to reheat water a couple of times, it is better than 3 bottles at a time at 10-15 minutes per.

See above. What I meant was add water to cooler then bottles to hot water. I ferment in plastic carboys or buckets and use the cooler as swamp coolers.

Oh pffffft then hell yeah

Watch that water. It will mess you up and make you act like a fool. If you end up with a lamp shade on your head do not say I didnt tell you so.

You can also use your oven to pasteurize.

Put all the bottles into the oven at room temperature, slowly raise the temp to 150F, hold for 25 minutes, turn the oven off, open the door and allow the oven & bottles to cool to room temp again, then chill.

Kapuziner black wheat, tasty stuff! I also found this bitter monk, I was very tempted. But I a yet to spend that much on a beer... So I didn't

ForumRunner_20131104_201609.jpg

ForumRunner_20131104_201630.jpg

Matthias said:
Kapuziner black wheat, tasty stuff! I also found this bitter monk, I was very tempted. But I a yet to spend that much on a beer... So I didn't

Should have gotten the Bitter Monk. Sounds delicious.

It's a ice sphere. :(
I wish it were sweet like cider but I'll have to mix it with juice upon serving. I don't think my friend will like it. She only likes the sweet ones. Ah well.
I keep a bottle of simple syrup around to sweeten drinks. It does make them go flat stirring them up though.

One part water, two parts granulated sugar. A dash of lemon juice. Stir that in a pan on medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Then bottle. For something novel, use juice instead of water.

Channel66 said:
You can also use your oven to pasteurize. Put all the bottles into the oven at room temperature, slowly raise the temp to 150F, hold for 25 minutes, turn the oven off, open the door and allow the oven & bottles to cool to room temp again, then chill.
Even better and I actually own an oven. For realises. ;)

Hb cider... I can't find anything so I'll ask here... For those who are using the stc-100 celicus models what do u set your differential at?

Lol, talk about wrong area. I am using mine for the warm side, so I have mine set at .3 because I'm not worried about cycling. If I were cooling I might bump it to .5 or .7

having such an enjoyable glass of apfelwein after bottling. Got 51 12 oz bottles and one bomber! (and this glass :D) cant wait for it to be carbed in 3 weeks, gonna be my demise I already know :drunk:

2013-11-04 20.12.41.jpg

Local store finally had Deschutes Obsidian in stock so I grabbed a sixer. Thus far, I've loved every brew of theirs I've tried.

Oh i know its the wrong area haha... So if I'm using it for the cold side set it for .5? I have it on .3 now

I am no expert, my chamber is only 2 weeks old. However I would think that at .3 on cooling, depending on ambient temps and your compressor cycle setting, you might almost be running every time compressor timer is up.

Basically, weigh out the benefits for you of freezer life vs tight control of your temps. I am happy at +/- 1* I really don't know how much the cycling would reduce compressor life, I know I've got a fridge/freezer combo that works like a champ and was built in the 50s...

having such an enjoyable glass of apfelwein after bottling. Got 51 12 oz bottles and one bomber! (and this glass :D) cant wait for it to be carbed in 3 weeks, gonna be my demise I already know :drunk:

Damn! You have me out numbered by about 4.5 gallons. I've never had it before so I just scaled it down to 1 gallon. Is it a low alcohol wine or a high alcohol beer?

Just started it Saturday and a friend says to bottle and drink in 4 weeks. Someone else said to let it sit in primary for 3 months then bottle and wait another month.

Looks like I'm starting another batch for comparison!

Damn! You have me out numbered by about 4.5 gallons. I've never had it before so I just scaled it down to 1 gallon. Is it a low alcohol wine or a high alcohol beer?

Just started it Saturday and a friend says to bottle and drink in 4 weeks. Someone else said to let it sit in primary for 3 months then bottle and wait another month.

haha definitely start a 5 gallon batch ASAP it is soooo goooood! i let mine sit just over a month. You pretty much wanna wait till it clears up and is stalled at or below 1.000. I carbed mine so I will let it sit for a couple weeks before trying, but you could start drinking it now it is so drinkable. Mines only about 7.8% tho, you could make it higher if you want. Im thinking about popping a bottle of it tonight its so good :D who need carbonation:drunk:

It is the shizzle my bizzle and that's no fizzle no bull**** brah! I got it from Wes YO!!

haha I would ask to trade him something for it, but knowing him id send a box of brews and all id get in return is the glass :D (totally floccing with you wes!)

All of the alcoholics Where you at Let's go
When I walk in the club All eyes on me I'm with the party rock crew All drinks are free We like ciroc We love patrone We came to party rock Everybody it's on Shots shots shots shots shots shots Shots shots shots shots shots Shots shots shots shots shots bziiiiiiiing.

All of the alcoholics Where you at Let's go
When I walk in the club All eyes on me I'm with the party rock crew All drinks are free We like ciroc We love patrone We came to party rock Everybody it's on Shots shots shots shots shots shots Shots shots shots shots shots Shots shots shots shots shots bziiiiiiiing.

a **** nizzle, thats the schit I dont like. A snitch nizzle that the schit I dont like! :D

I am no expert, my chamber is only 2 weeks old. However I would think that at .3 on cooling, depending on ambient temps and your compressor cycle setting, you might almost be running every time compressor timer is up.

Basically, weigh out the benefits for you of freezer life vs tight control of your temps. I am happy at +/- 1* I really don't know how much the cycling would reduce compressor life, I know I've got a fridge/freezer combo that works like a champ and was built in the 50s...

For some reason i just don't understand this stuff... I'm sorry if i sound dumb haha... Right now its set at .3 and compressor timer at 10 mins.... Should i raise the differential to 1?

I'm finishing my 2 22oz carbed versions tonight. Doing pints cut with 2oz sierra mist. I waited 6+ weeks on each previous batch.
I gotta bottle a batch made with a few cinammon sticks and keg a batch I used cider and brown sugar on.
I do 5 gallon batches but need to do a 6 and refill my 2 carboys that'll be empty. Thankfully I'm forced to take the next 3 days off so there will be plenty of time for alcohol to be made :-D

Back