Chicha, where to buy corn stock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my SWMBO (not a term I like but I will oblige ya'll and use it as it's a part of the HBT lexicon) saw the brew masters show and she was digging on it. She's part Latina and wants me to brew an authentic batch for our Superbowl party this year which means I've got to get cracking. I can't meet the deadlines Sam can as I have a real job to contend with. My question is where the hell can I get some corn suitable for this? Is flaked maize good enough? I have a bunch of amylase so I was thing of skipping the authentic route and just extracting with the amylase I have now.

Also, I was unclear as to what spices they used other than the spearmint. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Is it that simple? Can I soak grits in an amylase solution overnight like they did with the chewed up Peruvian corn, then mash it with some 6-row, flaked maize and perhaps some rice hulls to aid in lautering and be right to boil and spice from there?

That would be pretty simple. And cheap as hell as I have some 6-row and flaked maize from my drunk neighbor who asked me to make him that miller lite clone recipe but I never did it and he moved away.

Sounds like you're set. This from a recipe online. Sounds like there are many ways to spice it.

# 1/2oz curacao orange peel and 1tbs coriander OR
# 2 sticks cinnamon, 1tsp allspice

I'll go with the cinnamon/allspice in the boil. Sounds better than the orange peel/coriander which is pretty routine and I use in my wit recipe.

I'm guessing no hops in this bad boy?

Thanks for the help.

Just as an FYI to those in NM looking to do a chicha at some point, the Santa Ana pueblo sells blue corn kernel for 1 buck a pound. I'm not sure if it will be germinate-able until I try but I think I can soak crushed kernel in an amylase solution for awhile and get a decent extraction regardless.

Back