Weyermann Pale Ale Malt critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I have decided to switch from Briess 2-Row to another base malt, since either Briess or the Crosby and Baker warehouse in Atlanta seem to have higher rates of weevil infestation than other maltsters (had to throw out a whole, 3-months old bag that was so infested that there was no way it could have been used for brewing). I also want to get away from using plain 2-Row malt and using a nice pale malt instead.

I am considering the Weyermann Pale Ale malt, but having never brewed with it, I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the flavor characteristics of this grain, specifically how it compares to domestic and English varieties.

You could make a tea of each of your base malts. You would do this by mashing a pound on your stove top, strain, chill, and then taste side by side.

I picked up a bag over the summer and still pecking away at it. I had a bag of MO before that and didn't really notice any difference. I haven't used domestic 2-row in many years so can't comment how it compares to that. Weyermann has a good reputation so you can't really go wrong.

I figured they'd make a product comparable to English Pale Ale malt. Sounds great - I'll make that part of my next order.

The Weyermann pale is very good. It's richer in flavor than domestic and "cleaner" in flavor than British. A fine all-purpose pale malt.

Back