American Porter Bert Grant's Perfect Porter tribute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had it on the floor inside a cooler, which was a tight fit so it didnt lift out easy. But i tried lifting it out of the cooler and placing it onto the washer so i could siphon it into a keg but when lifting, it swung and hit the side of the washer. It didnt help that i had a few pints during the games giants before doing it

Humann can you post your updated recipe?

I kept it the same last time and will do the same this time too, I live in a different area with soft water so I will need to make sure to add some temporary hardness to buffer all the dark malt in this but that's about it.

Good to hear thanks for the info...loved the recipe, I have brewed it a few times and brings back some great memories of Grant's

Good to hear thanks for the info...loved the recipe, I have brewed it a few times and brings back some great memories of Grant's

FYI, the vanilla extract is totally a optional thing too, I would take a sample, try with and without and see what you like and go from there if you want to add it.

Mine's two weeks in the primary. I really like Vanilla but still don't really know the recommended ratio to add. I think I'll skip the secondary racking.
Possibly add the vodka infused vanilla bean scrapings (24 hrs old) now, and or some of the Madagascar vanilla at bottling?
What do you all think?

Mine's two weeks in the primary. I really like Vanilla but still don't really know the recommended ratio to add. I think I'll skip the secondary racking.
Possibly add the vodka infused vanilla bean scrapings (24 hrs old) now, and or some of the Madagascar vanilla at bottling?
What do you all think?

Either way, just be cautious how much you're adding. I believe it was 1 tsp for 5 gallons but that will be fairly subtle.

I tasted it before carbonating and it was strong on smoke and light on vanilla. We'll see in a week or so

I brewed this a few months ago. Really tasty. First time bottling in ages. Really nice flavor and color. Here it is normal and backlit.

porter.JPG

Latest posts

Back