Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dog is begging to be taught "RETRIEVE me a beer". :D

a good idea in theory, but as previously pointed out:

I'm sure they're all "mostly" good boys and girls. Given the opportunity, they will get into trouble.
they will, and i'm betting my Cirka is among the worst. her only waking thought is how to get/earn/find/scam food. there is no way in hell i'm trusting her with a beer. she's smart enough to figure out how to open it.

she's pure trouble, and i love her because/despite of it.

This is my brew buddy, Charlie.

ForumRunner_20130806_173258.jpg

Every time I crack open a beer, he comes running and wants a taste. Last week, tho, I made the mistake of letting home sample some out of a can. Bad idea. The edge was sharp enough to cut his tongue so he spent the rest of the night trying to lick his tongue. That will teach me.

View attachment 140197

This dog saved all her pups from a fire and put them in the cabinet of the fire truck. Hero mom dog

I just molested the **** out of the like button.

There was a story in yahoo news that someone in South America threw a baby away and left it to die. The baby was found in a pen, nude, in a dogpile of mommy dog and puppies, being kept warm like she was one of the litter. The only theories that seemed possible were a) some person put the baby in the pen (seems unlikely) or b) the mommy dog harmlessly picked the baby up and brough her into the pen. Either way, people suck and dogs are great.

I miss having dogs around. Our chow and chow/lab mix were poisoned by the tainted Chinese dog food(Alpo brand) several years ago. After that we decided to get out of the pet business so we buried the dogs, sold the horses and are down to 3 freaking cats. Apparently the cats are immortal.

I miss having dogs around. Our chow and chow/lab mix were poisoned by the tainted Chinese dog food(Alpo brand) several years ago. After that we decided to get out of the pet business so we buried the dogs, sold the horses and are down to 3 freaking cats. Apparently the cats are immortal.

We were feeding our dog a "premium" brand that turned out to be tainted with the same ingredients. Thing is... right around that time he refused to eat it. We thought he was just being picky. Now he's on a good grain free, domestically sourced food and he wolfs it down twice a day.

Not sure why Im telling this story given the context of the thread, but what the hell. I'm a real idiot. A while back we were dogsitting for a friend of ours. Reggie is a huge Rottweiler. Laid back, sleepy dog, just a big sweetheart. I nicknamed him "Death Machine" because its a name that fits him so poorly.

I was making pate in the kitchen and he of course trotted in lured by the lovely chicken liven smells. "Want a little buddy? Come here! Siiiiiit." I put a dollop on my finger and... offered the chicken liver index finger to the giant rottie.

Luckily, this is Reggie we are talking about, but he still put my entire finger in his mouth and smacked his doggie lips and wrapped his tongue around it. It came out wet but unharmed.

He could have snapped my finger off like a carrot stick if he wanted to or if he just got too excited. I stood there standing there looking at my wet finger thinking "damn... that was dumb".

Good boy Reggie.

Not sure why Im telling this story given the context of the thread, but what the hell. I'm a real idiot. A while back we were dogsitting for a friend of ours. Reggie is a huge Rottweiler. Laid back, sleepy dog, just a big sweetheart. I nicknamed him "Death Machine" because its a name that fits him so poorly.

I was making pate in the kitchen and he of course trotted in lured by the lovely chicken liven smells. "Want a little buddy? Come here! Siiiiiit." I put a dollop on my finger and... offered the chicken liver index finger to the giant rottie.

Luckily, this is Reggie we are talking about, but he still put my entire finger in his mouth and smacked his doggie lips and wrapped his tongue around it. It came out wet but unharmed.

He could have snapped my finger off like a carrot stick if he wanted to or if he just got too excited. I stood there standing there looking at my wet finger thinking "damn... that was dumb".

Good boy Reggie.

That is typical rottie behaviour. I used to own a female ( RIP bailey) and she was the biggest teddy bear. Have you ever walked into a room and then stood there trying to remember what you were there for? That was my rottie 24/7.

Good boy Reggie.

Not that unusual. I am pretty sure I could coat my face in peanut butter and present myself to Egon shepweiler and come out unscathed except for maybe getting licked to death.

My lab/shepherd mix has taken my entire hand in his mouth before. He's very careful though. Even when he's excited, I can take one of those tiny "bits" treats that are about the size of a pea and offer it to him between my lips and he barely touches me when he takes it.

6 years ago today we adopted the handsome Goombah

he was with us only a short while, days short of 2½ years, but he left some very deep paw prints in our hearts

we miss you, Bubbah
024.jpg

The latest pup to roll through my rescue, a Norwegian Elkhound that wore a prong collar for the better part of a year. his neck wounds are now healing and he will be up for adoption soon.

Marlo neck.jpg

Marlo.jpg

I live in a neighborhood that has mostly went to rental properties..

People move in, tie their pitt bulldogs up with rope. Never feed them. There is one brown one that comes to my fence and whines.. I think he can read the hobo sign, whereever it is.. that We are a easy touch..

Some laws are just stupid, a guy in Chattanooga got 20+ years for malnutrition on a horse.. IF he'd killed the animal control guy he'd only got 7-15..

BUT, hanging someone up and whipping them all over with a piece of pvc pipe, or horsewhip would work well.. I mean we are dealing with druggies that have been to prison with the scariest people on earth, how do you scare that kind of person?? (take away their mobility, or increase pain) Nothing like a wheelchair, colostomy or a long prison sentence to make people find respect and GOD..

My dog is so over loved he needs a diet.. (come to think of it I do too)

I live in a neighborhood that has mostly went to rental properties..

People move in, tie their pitt bulldogs up with rope. Never feed them. There is one brown one that comes to my fence and whines.. I think he can read the hobo sign, whereever it is.. that We are a easy touch..

Some laws are just stupid, a guy in Chattanooga got 20+ years for malnutrition on a horse.. IF he'd killed the animal control guy he'd only got 7-15..

BUT, hanging someone up and whipping them all over with a piece of pvc pipe, or horsewhip would work well.. I mean we are dealing with druggies that have been to prison with the scariest people on earth, how do you scare that kind of person?? (take away their mobility, or increase pain) Nothing like a wheelchair, colostomy or a long prison sentence to make people find respect and GOD..

My dog is so over loved he needs a diet.. (come to think of it I do too)

Do they need to find God to gain respect and become a better person?

The latest pup to roll through my rescue, a Norwegian Elkhound that wore a prong collar for the better part of a year. his neck wounds are now healing and he will be up for adoption soon.

Wow that is brutal. Poor pup. We had chain collars on some of our bigger dogs growing up (never prong collars though) and they never really even helped. For my big dogs now, I have this thing called a "gentle lead" which is a little cloth bit that goes over their nose and moves the leash control towards the front of their muzzle which gives you leverage and a ton of control without hurting the dog at all. That thing turns my dog into more of gentle giant than any prong or chain leash ever could. My tiny wife can control him with her pinky.

Not to thread jack. But, what's peoples thoughts on these collars? They look more comfortable, and prevent backing out of the collar. When adjusted you can still get 2 fingers under the coller when it's pulled tight. So it never chokes them, just prevents the dog from backing out of the collar.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JD1PUW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to thread jack. But, what's peoples thoughts on these collars? They look more comfortable, and prevent backing out of the collar. When adjusted you can still get 2 fingers under the coller when it's pulled tight. So it never chokes them, just prevents the dog from backing out of the collar.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JD1PUW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It seems like a variation on the standard "choke chain" type of thing which when used properly is a useful thing. You just have to know how to use it properly.

The prong collars were never meant to be used as something for a dog to wear all the time and it looks like that dog was put in one and tied out permanently. I wouldn't even use one for walks but that sort of thing should get an owner strung up in the same collar.

My dog can be a puller, so my wife uses one of the Gentle Leader/Halti type headcollars and it works really well for her. The only drawback is people see the harness going over the snout, think it's a muzzle and they think you're dog is viscous or something.

I prefer to use an Easywalk harness with him: http://www.buygentleleader.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/easywalk/productdescription It does something like the Gentle Leader/Halti where it eliminates the ability to just pull against the leash, but instead of attaching on his muzzle, it goes around the front of his body. The leash attaches at his chest so if he pulls, it turns him back towards me. It works really well for me.

10812_420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the chest one and it works good to remind him when he strays but really if it is a bullish dog it will pull even if the harness is connected in the front. I actually had to add a ring to his collar so I could connect it to the collar too or he would just yank it down and around. He is trained past that point now though so it isn't as much of an issue.

I use a nice harness on my dog wraps around his neck and under his rib cage. Lot of control if needed but he just has to be in front leading us along which is fine I can deal with it. But I still have my wife let go if he bolts after something an 85lb missle is not something I want her holding on to. And he comes back or gets tired of chasing whatever it was. I know him enough to shorten up his leash when he tenses to lessen his ability to jerk.

Yeah that is one bonus to being a big guy. Harper doesn't get far no matter how badly he wants to, lol. If it was a kid or small woman, or small man for that matter, though he'd drag them down the road. He's not near as bad as he was when I first got him but he'll still try if something gets him going enough... cats or other small furry critters usually. :p

Yeah that is one bonus to being a big guy. Harper doesn't get far no matter how badly he wants to, lol. If it was a kid or small woman, or small man for that matter, though he'd drag them down the road. He's not near as bad as he was when I first got him but he'll still try if something gets him going enough... cats or other small furry critters usually. :p

Squirrels and crows. Thats the trigger

Reminds me of a camping trip I went on with a college buddy, his wife, and a cute redheaded friend of theirs. At the time, my buddy's Cocker Spaniel (Maya) was 2 1/2 years old, my Lab (Sage) was a year and a half, and Christine's Shiba Inu (Yuki) was 8 weeks (she had had him for all of four days at the time of this trip). Anyway, we set off on a hike around the park we were camped at. Probably walked in the neighborhood of 5-6 miles. Maya and Sage were troopers, but obviously Yuki got tired out several times, and got carried for most of the walk. So we took turns carrying the pup, and traded leashes for the other two dogs every now and then. My buddy's wife had been holding the leash for Sage for 15-20 minutes, and had just handed me the leash back. We rounded a bend in the trail, and Sage spotted a squirrel about 30' uptrail and bolted..... as far as his 6' leash would let him. He hit the end of it hard enough that he jerked my 300 lb frame a step or two off balance. Jennifer (buddy's wife - about 5' 4" and maybe 120-130 lbs) watched it happen, looked at me wide-eyed and said "I am SO glad YOU were holding the leash there and not me!!"

squirrels, rabbits and cats over here. she's chased them a million times and never catches them... you'd think she'd figure that part out, eventually. so much for her being an "intelligent breed"... :D

Our Brittany, Nellie, actually caught the smaller of 2 squirrels in our yard this past spring and killed it, she was so proud of herself. The funny thing is, we haven't seen or heard another squirrel since then.

Pretty much anything little and fast. Big confuses him... his reaction to the horse up the street is priceless and the last time I boarded him there was a Great Dane staying there too and he was fascinated by it, lol.

Opossums are an interesting one for him too cause they don't really run. One will be on the back fence at night which puts it about eye level to him and he'll dance around in front of it jumping up and down barking until it gets bored and leaves or I go down and drag him away. One of the few times he actually went over the fence was going after one and, according to my neighbor, he kept playing with it even after it played dead. And by playing I mean he wanted it to play with him not like rag dolling it or trying to hurt it, lol.

He is such a big baby... quite the guard dog I have. :p

KB wants cats to play with him and then doesn't understand why they react badly to him. In the apartment we lived in before we got the house we shared a deck with the apartment next to us. Two cats that lived a few doors down would come and hang out on our patio and they really liked KB and would let him nose at them and they'd rub against his snout and play. He loved that! One night I took him out for his walk and I didn't notice that another cat had come up and was sleeping in a chair on our patio, all curled up in a ball. KB went up and stuck his snout in the cat's belly to wake it up. He jumped back and for about a second had a whirling ball of cat on his head going insane before it hit the ground and ran off. Luckily it didn't hurt him but he was really confused by the reaction since he was just saying "hi". Always had to be careful to watch him around strange cats after that because he has no clue they don't like him and we don't want him getting a claw to the eye or something.

Pretty much the same with Harper. He and Tiggs are pretty much best buds so when he sees one "in the wild" he just wants to go say "hi!" then when they run he thinks "play time!" and wants to give chase like he does with Tiggs.

Back