(veggies) side dishes for ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinirish

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm gonna cook some memphis-style ribs this week-end with a homemade Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce and sweet potato fries (oven baked) and I was wondering which vegetables I could serve with all this. We usually eat steamed brocoli with ribs but I'm getting tired of that, I want something new. Maybe beer-cooked vegetables...? Any ideas?

thanks!

Roasted corn of courses.

You could maybe go with a flavored herb or spice butter...or mexican style make up butter with a little cayenne pepper or chili powder and some lime juice (and zest in the butter)

You melt a stick or two of butter, add some chili powder and lime zest to taste. Then you let the butter reharden. Then spread it on the cobs when you roast it, the hit it wit a squeeze of lime when you are ready to serve.

You can find some different recipes here;

More Recipes Like Parmesan Roasted Corn on the Cob - All Recipes

I sometimes do an indian spiced one (from a cookbook) which is basically using curry powder, iirc.

Coleslaw is my favorite side for ribs or pulled pork sandwiches.

It goes on top of the pork in my sandwich.

It's not fancy, but it 'works'.;)

That looks like a better tasting Matter Paneer Masala than the one in the Indian cookbook I have.

There is also a boxed frozen Matter Paneer on the shelves lately. Julias or Linda's Indian Favorites. Prett danged good for a quick bite.

Memphis ribs have no sauce, son!

Sounds like you need a side 'o greens.

Preach brother!

Dice some bacon, cook it on med low heat until the fat is rendered, dump in chicken stock, pepper, red pepper, garlic, some lemon juice. Taste the liquid... does it taste good enough to eat alone? Season to taste if not.

Dump in a mess of greens and simmer.

Add that roasted corn to the meal... maybe throw some buffalo turds on the grill with the ribs the last hour or so...

gotta go to the store.....

Memphis ribs have no sauce, son!

Sounds like you need a side 'o greens.

The sauce will be served apart! I've done my homeworks: dry rub+mop+slow cooking in the smoker!

Roasted corn seems very interesting, but where I live it's a little bit early for corn havest, in 2-3 weeks it will be better.

That bacon and red pepper stuff is mouthwatering, altrought I may add my own personnal touch...:D

+1.

Save the "sauce" for the liver!
I already got plenty of booze for that!

thanks guys!

I know you said you're tired of broccoli, but how about a really good broccoli salad?

10 slices bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled (or use real bacon salad topping)
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
3/4 cup fresh seedless rep grapes, halved
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup light mayonnaise
1 cup sunflower seeds

Whisk vinegar and sugar together, then mix into mayonnaise. Pour over remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Back