Porter recipe calculated thru Tasty Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers-

I am preparing to brew a variation of Palmer’s robust porter (extract with steeped grains). The difference is that I’ll be brewing a full boil versus his partial. I have utilized the Tasty Brew recipe calculator to tweak the amounts of the grain and hops bill for the full boil. Here’s the recipe:

Boil volume = 7 gals.; Batch size = 5.25 gals.

Grain bill-
7.75# Light Malt Extract (liquid)
.5# American Chocolate
.5# Crystal 60L
.25# American Black Patent

Hops bill-
.5 Nugget (60)
.5 Willamette (40)
.5 Willamette (20)

Yeast bill-
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I’m shooting for these targets-
OG – 1.052
FG – 1.013
IBU – 35
SRM – 26
ABV – 5.0%

I want to break up the Light Malt Extract into two parts…boil 3 pounds initially then add the final 3.75 pounds at flameout. My question is, Will doing so drastically change my outcome? Tasty Brew doesn’t account for flamout additions in their recipe calculator. But when I try to calculate it with 3 pounds of Light Malt Extract in the boil it throws my numbers way off, so I calculated it based on what the final amount would be. Is this the right approach? Can anyone confirm my numbers or advise if it will hit my target?

Thanks
axr

Looks good to me, your OG might be a few points higher but there is nothing wrong with that:cross:. I am going to brew the same recipe next month. Get back on here and let us know how it tastes. I also do full boils. I do not think you need to do the late extract addition because of the darkness of the beer, but I may be wrong. My last weiss beer came out a little dark, so I thought I might do the late extract addition on that one. I also was told my boil was a little to intense and that might have caused it to darken more than usual. Cheers

Back