Desert Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its 105 F today at 10 AM.
Perfect time to brew outdoors.
Only have to bring the water up 50 degrees to steep grain.

Supposed to be 113 F.
Was 118 yesterday.
Making a Sierra Nevada Clone

I'll keep you posted.

Not my recipe but one of the standards fom my LHBS.
Drove by yesterday and got the recipe on a whim

1/4 crystal malt
3/4 carapils
7 1/2 Pale LME

Hops:
1 oz Nugget 60m
1/2 oz Perle 15m
1 oz Cascade 15m
1 oz Cascade 0m

Wyeast #1056

My bottled water was stored in the garage overnight. It was 110 when I put it in the pot.

Your a better man than me. I'm taking a break from brewing for a while with this heat and focusing on equipment now. Just bought all my stuff to make Checyo's CFC. Not that I can use it now with the water coming out at 90+ degrees :(.

Just bought a case of Nimbus Pale Ale from Sams club for $20. Not bad... I'll probably squeeze in a batch sometime in Aug.

I remember going to a conference in Pheonix right when aspartame just hit the market. The diet soda had been stored in someone's garage for three weeks in July!

Or living in Las Vegas. You'd get into you car after a day's work and the engine temperature was "normal".

106F here yesterday (officially that is, an all-time record). My LaCross said 109F.

Anyone up for a solar-wort boiler? You would only need a 3-sun concentration.

5 minutes of boil time left. Outside temperature is 110.

Gettting the pre-chiller/immersion chiller ready.

I'm also using the whirlpool method for the first time... just so I can be out here longer.

U guys must have ac right? 118, WOW thats 2 hot.... I am starting to like are canadian winters lol

Yeah dude. I couldn't take that heat.

I'd be running around naked (OK not really running) with an ice water mister spraying me all day.

I wouldn't be able to work. up in the ceilings of plants with no ventilation working on cfanes, screw that.

I feel sorry for you up there in Phx. We are normally 15-20 degrees cooler than you guys. We almost hit 100 the other day and I was miserable.

It's our 3-4 months of winter. You hang inside a lot or if you have a pool that's the place to be. And yea, everyone has AC (or swamp cooler <yuck>). The other 7-8 months; georgeous...

Chimone said:
I feel sorry for you up there in Phx. We are normally 15-20 degrees cooler than you guys. We almost hit 100 the other day and I was miserable.

Agreed - I go up there on occasion for business/pleasure. Man it is hot up there in summer, and I think more humid from all the populous/watering. I watched a pre-season Packer Cardinals game in Tempe a couple years back. 116 degrees. I could barely take it, and there are those guys on the field playing football??

Chimone said:
Swamp coolers work great down here

I got both swamp and AC. Mine works great from May-June. Then when the humidy creeps up enough they start to bite. I flip off of it during monsoon and go to AC. Swamps definitely are better on the wallet!

LA hasn't been much better this weekend. Downtown and Long Beach were 101 yesterday and the poor suckers in Woodland Hills (part of "The Valley") had it at a record of 119!

olllllo said:
If it weren't 115 there would be 10 million people living here. It's an equalizer.
There are. At least it seems like it until we hit 100° a few days in a row.
Why not brew at night? I find its a lot easier to brew at 90-95° at midnight. I think ASH does a midnight brewout sometime during the summer.

Wild

wild said:
Why not brew at night? I find its a lot easier to brew at 90-95&#176; at midnight. I think ASH does a midnight brewout sometime during the summer.Wild

Normally I do.

I consider this to be a Statement Brew!

Moving to secondary tommorrow and starting an Alaskan Amber clone.

I dont know about you guys, but monsoon is in full force down here. We had 2.4 inches of rain in one day! I know desertbrew is getting his share of monsoons up there. How you guys doing ollllo?

I think I finally found a name for my home brewery.

Monsoon Brewing :rockin:

It's been awesome here. Currently 75 degrees and I live near the Canyon Del Oro wash that is raging over the road. Watching big old tree's flying by. It was cool. Going to take the dogs for a walk along the Rillito river walkway shortly. Live out here long enough and you consider a rainy, cloudy day a nice day.

574-CDOWash.jpg

Yea, we get excited when it rains :confused:

Chimone said:
yea ive often wondered what the drawing power of Pheonix is.

I agree. Much better places to live in AZ.

On a similar note--now that I've lived in Arizona and now Virginia for extended periods--I'd definitely take AZ. The heat here and there is completely different. 95° and 80% humidity here is like hell compared to 110 and 10%. I'd rather be in an oven than a sauna.

Chimone said:
I dont know about you guys, but monsoon is in full force down here. We had 2.4 inches of rain in one day! I know desertbrew is getting his share of monsoons up there. How you guys doing ollllo?

It's been hit and miss with the rain but it is encouraging. Temps have been down a bit but with the monsoon humidity (ugh!)

I agree. Much better places to live in AZ.

Depends what you want Dude. Personally I'd rather live in Tucson, but my family are all still in Phoenix.. But then it's hard to say when I joined The Navy (from Tucson) it had a pop of .5mil when I left Phoenix the pop. was right around 1 mil. I-10 started way out west and 17 was the only freeway in town..

Kinda weird that where we used to go party in High School out in the desert is now all developed.. When I left, Bell road was the north end and Union Hills had still being paved with nothing on it, powerline road was a dirt maintenance road with power lines running the length of it.. And Luke AFB was "out in the middle of nowhere.".... Damn I got old.

Ended up going up onto Mt Lemmon with the dogs yesterday instead. A nice 60 degrees on top. Since the pastor wants more pics in our galleries; here's some as I headed up. Not all sand and cacti.

Windy Point
574-MtLemmon1.JPG

Windy Point
574-MtLemmonHwy.JPG

Seven Cataracts, water fall
574-MtLemmonFalls.JPG

Up on top - Marshall Gulch
574-MtLemmonRiver.JPG

beautiful

i played a round of golf today. i should of taken the camera. the mountains were masked by clouds all day. it was amazing.

I spoke with Jeffery at LHBS Brewer's Connection here in Tempe.
He told me that the Thursday that it was 118, he had his biggest ingredient sales ever.

July is usually a miserable sales month for beer brewing in the desert.

:confused: So how did the Sierra Clone turn out? I am looking for a good full boil extract recipe clone of Sierra Nevada Pale....

Is this one good?

The ale came out great although not as hoppy as SNPA.

I don't have access to my brew notes at work, but my suspicion is that I probably didn't boil with enough water, so my hop utilization was low.

It was frikking 115, so I know for a fact that it was not a full volume boil.

I don't get out to bars as much as I used to so my exemplar was the bottled version and not the draft version.

If you do a search, there seems to be a debate about how the original SNPA recipe has changed over the years. Also, from what I remember Dude seems to be the resident expert on SNPA recipes.

Back