The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, erm...

206fan15_gallery__470x340.jpg

Hey I didn't know my cousins were going to be at the game!!!!

;)

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I am now very sad the World Cup is over. What will I do at work now? UEFA qualifiers don't start until September!

But... But... MLS is kinda... crap? :(

now hold on there, one of the players of the world cup dream team learnt his trade with DC United in the MLS, New Zealand's Ryan Nelson. Also a member of the only team not to lose a single game at the world cup finals this year ;)

Are consolation games always that much more entertaining than the actual final game? I thought Germany/Uruguay was one of the most entertaining games I had seen for the entire cup, but I'm just a typ non-soccer-loving murrican.

The cup final is often disappointing.......Too much at stake makes some teams change their play too much, like what happened to Holland. :(

really, probably said before, but come on, two hours and one point? Allow the tackle and double the size of the goals!

I'm a big baseball fan, but I had to post that because it's SO true.

Everything I complain about that makes soccer boring, I can find in baseball. Long game and only one point scored at the very end?

Anyone watch the 1991 World Series? Braves vs Twins? Game 7? Scoreless game in extra innings?
Twins scored a run in the bottom of the 10th on a hit that barely made it over the infield.

To the uninitiated, soccer is a slow game with a few short spurts of real action. Too few and too far between. To those that know the game, they see the constant drama of attacking and defending. Searching out weak spots and trying to penetrate for scoring opportunities.

Baseball is the same way. You have to really get into the game and understand it to see the chess match that takes place. Matchups between hitter and pitcher, moving runners along with sacrifices. Holding runners on base.

I don't care for soccer because I've never had reason to get into it enough to really understand the play beyond getting the ball down the field and putting it in the damned net. It's not exciting to me, but I can see the potential for it to be exciting if I knew it as well as I do baseball or football.

Everything I complain about that makes soccer boring, I can find in baseball. Long game and only one point scored at the very end?

Anyone watch the 1991 World Series? Braves vs Twins? Game 7? Scoreless game in extra innings?
Twins scored a run in the bottom of the 10th on a hit that barely made it over the infield.

To the uninitiated, soccer is a slow game with a few short spurts of real action. Too few and too far between. To those that know the game, they see the constant drama of attacking and defending. Searching out weak spots and trying to penetrate for scoring opportunities.

Baseball is the same way. You have to really get into the game and understand it to see the chess match that takes place. Matchups between hitter and pitcher, moving runners along with sacrifices. Holding runners on base.

I don't care for soccer because I've never had reason to get into it enough to really understand the play beyond getting the ball down the field and putting it in the damned net. It's not exciting to me, but I can see the potential for it to be exciting if I knew it as well as I do baseball or football.

A truly excellent post, sir!!

Whew! Glad soccer is finally over for another 4 years. Now if October would hurry up & get here so I don't have to put up with baseball for awhile.

Spot on. I played baseball from the time I was 5 until about 5 years ago (that's roughly 31 years). Everything you say is true.

Which is why I gave soccer a real chance during the World Cup for the first time in my life. I can't say I'm hooked, but I definitely can say I enjoy it.

Spot on. I played baseball from the time I was 5 until about 5 years ago (that's roughly 31 years). Everything you say is true.

Which is why I gave soccer a real chance during the World Cup for the first time in my life. I can't say I'm hooked, but I definitely can say I enjoy it.

I'm exactly the same way. Grew up with s*ccer, so I understand it and love it. When I came to the states I gave baseball a chance. I didn't really get it.....I can watch it and enjoy it, but only if it's a very important game, and somebody scores something so that I can understand the situation better.

I did used to play rounders at primary school though, and enjoyed it. Of course the game in the US has evolved a lot since it moved from the British Isles to the US. ;)

Whew! Glad soccer is finally over for another 4 years. Now if October would hurry up & get here so I don't have to put up with baseball for awhile.
Here we have two seasons: Football season and waiting-for-Football season.

I did give soccer a chance this WC and I enjoy it a lot more than I used to (which was not at all), about on par with MLB for me. I find the World Series of College Baseball much more watchable than MLB for some reason.

The whole soccer penalty 'mystery' is strange to me.
<whistle blows>
Penalty!
For what?
I'm not saying.
wat?
Yellow Card!
For what?
I'm not saying.

I did used to play rounders at primary school though, and enjoyed it. Of course the game in the US has evolved a lot since it moved from the British Isles to the US. ;)
Ah, you're on of those guys. My neighbor is from England (or the U.K., as he always calls it). He bitches about living in the States all the time.

Inevitably when we talk about something, he starts every sentence with "Back in the U.K."

We call him BITUK. :D

And watching football is like watching commercials. ;)

I got into the habit of recording my football games on the DVR and watching them that way. Hit fast forward twice once the player is tackled, hit play as you see them break the huddle. You can watch an entire game in about 45 minutes and skip commercials and halftime. Best way to watch a game! All the action and none of the down time!

I can get into almost anything as long as I have an emotional investment in the game. I've just never made a connection with a soccer team outside of the World Cup and the Olympics. I don't have cable anymore and I don't go to Sounder FC games, so I don't get into them. Can say I'm more interested in that than college basketball (snore) at least.

Ah, you're on of those guys. My neighbor is from England (or the U.K., as he always calls it). He bitches about living in the States all the time.

Inevitably when we talk about something, he starts every sentence with "Back in the U.K."

Believe it or not, I'm not one of those guys in real life (Particularly) It's hanging out on a US forum that makes me act that way. :(

You guys MAKE me do it with the constant ribbing and all! :mug:

Best. Game. Ever.

Jack pitched all 10 innings. The eighth inning was probably the most exciting inning of baseball in the history of the universe.

Best. Game. Ever.

Jack pitched all 10 innings. The eighth inning was probably the most exciting inning of baseball in the history of the universe.

See? And there's folks that are probably still all apoplectic over yesterday's soccer game (yes I said soccer game just to rile up the fans :D) while many folks in the states would have found it boring.

Oh and on the "back in the UK" thing. I worked with a Brit for a while and we used to get into it (good naturedly) about music and which was better, US or UK bands. One day he came in all smug and said that he heard on the radio that morning that a BRITISH band was #1 on the AMERICAN charts this week and that proved his point. I said "Really? What band?" and he replied "REM!". I was happy to inform him that REM were a bunch of good ol' boys from Georgia who had been dominating the UK pop charts for years. :D

Oh and on the "back in the UK" thing. I worked with a Brit for a while and we used to get into it (good naturedly) about music and which was better, US or UK bands. One day he came in all smug and said that he heard on the radio that morning that a BRITISH band was #1 on the AMERICAN charts this week and that proved his point. I said "Really? What band?" and he replied "REM!". I was happy to inform him that REM were a bunch of good ol' boys from Georgia who had been dominating the UK pop charts for years. :D

Pah! I listen to classic rock stations. At least half the songs played are from the UK, it's like home from home! ;)

I do love some REM though......Now, back to s#ccer! :D

See? And there's folks that are probably still all apoplectic over yesterday's soccer game (yes I said soccer game just to rile up the fans :D) while many folks in the states would have found it boring.

Well, it may of helped that I was a 14 year old, and a Twins fan. But man, that whole 1991 World Series was awesome. The funny part, the "worst" game of that whole series was Game 5 - the highscoring 14-5 game :D

R.I.P Kirby :(

I used to get a lot of that when I lived in the midwest. Folks would inform me that "That's not the way we do things here in America, do it our way, and if you don't like it, get the hell out." (Then they'd start chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A")

Goes both ways, though. I almost shat myself laughing at the latest Dodge advert that was played a lot during the world cup. You know the one, where the British redcoats are chased off by George Washington driving a... Dodge Challenger, and the tagline goes "There's two things America got right. Cars and freedom!" (Native Americans might have something to say about the latter, and didn't our tax dollars just have to bail out the auto industry for NOT getting cars right!?)

Yeah, the whole BITUK thing is a defence mechanism. It only usually gets deployed in the face of ribbing, whether good natured or not. Sometimes of course, it is used just to stir things up a bit ;)

I used to get a lot of that when I lived in the midwest. Folks would inform me that "That's not the way we do things here in America, do it our way, and if you don't like it, get the hell out." (Then they'd start chanting "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A")

Goes both ways, though. I almost shat myself laughing at the latest Dodge advert that was played a lot during the world cup. You know the one, where the British redcoats are chased off by George Washington driving a... Dodge Challenger, and the tagline goes "There's two things America got right. Cars and freedom!" (Native Americans might have something to say about the latter, and didn't our tax dollars just have to bail out the auto industry for NOT getting cars right!?)
We don't get all jingoistic on my buddy. He's a good egg. He usually resorts to BITUK when he's drinking. I love when he says 'tickety-boo.' I'm trying to work that into my lexicon. :D

I have to say I chuckled at the Dodge commercial, but I also get a bit peeved when we get all proud of ourselves for running the Native Americans out of their homes.

I love when he says 'tickety-boo.' I'm trying to work that into my lexicon. :D

I've been here ten years. The wife says I've modified my accent and she misses it as it used to be. Every once in a while, I will remember a word that i had forgotten from the old days and sneak it into a sentence just to keep her intrigued. :D

Back