Problem with Chill Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aero_eng

Reaction score
This is my second batch and I'm having a problem with what I self-diagnosed as chill haze (according to some brief reading). At room temperature the beer looks fine (somewhat amber color) and has what appears to be sufficient carbonation and good head. The taste is what I would expect of the chosen style (IPA which was calc'ed out to approx. 150 IBU's...yeah, 150) but when cold, the beer seems to loose its taste, loose its head, and change consistency to what looks to be slightly more viscous. If anyone has experienced this similar effect or could offer some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

aero_eng said:
This is my second batch and I'm having a problem with what I self-diagnosed as chill haze (according to some brief reading). At room temperature the beer looks fine (somewhat amber color) and has what appears to be sufficient carbonation and good head. The taste is what I would expect of the chosen style (IPA which was calc'ed out to approx. 150 IBU's...yeah, 150) but when cold, the beer seems to loose its taste, loose its head, and change consistency to what looks to be slightly more viscous. If anyone has experienced this similar effect or could offer some advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What you have might be chill haze, but I lean away from it. Chill haze usually has no effect on taste, but what you describe seems to make it have less taste. That's why I don't think it's chill haze - but I'm certainly no expert on this.

If you force carb, you could use an inline water filter to remove the leftover proteins in the beer and voila, no more haze

It sure sounds like more than chill haze. It also sounds like it's not conditioned long enough,since there seems to be insufficient co2 to carbonate the beer properly when chilled. And your recipe & brewing style can have effects on head retention,mouth feel,etc.

Back