Help saving a beer (infected)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Okay blueberries were really cheap like a month ago (for OK, got 10lbs for $30). So I made a blueberry wheat. Long story short everything was going well and then one day a white film appeared on top! I panicked, kegged it, and threw it in the fridge to stop anything growing.

Well it tastes fine (just a little sour) but it smells like rotten eggs! Any ideas what I can do to get rid of the rotten egg smell?

Hydrogen sulfide? Force carb the beer cold to about 3 volumes, then leave open the valve on the keg and let it go flat as it warms up to room temp. Purge the headspace well, and chill/re-carb. That should drive out the sulfur.

I use this trick to get my lagers ready to go quickly. Tapping a month grain to glass for a Helles is not a problem but it is necessary to get rid of the sulfur left behind by the lager yeast.

Back