4.75 gallons of wort after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i made my first all grain today (edwort's haus pale at your reccomendations!)
i finished with 4.75 gallons of wort at 1.054 s.g. I added 3 quarts of warm water at the end. the carboy has 5.5 gallons of wort at 1.042. is it o.k. that i added water at the end? i guess my boil was too vigorous or my measurements were off ( though i doubt the latter ). thanks for all your help and encouragement, I HAVE EVOLVED !:mug:

Always, ALWAYS measure your pre-boil volume. You have to take into account the dead space in your MLT and BK of there is any. Do you know what your pre-boil volume was? Generally you can count on boiling off about 1.5 gallons per hour. If you dont measure your pre-boil volume when you brew, you are always going to be shooting in the dark.

As stated above, start measuring your pre-boil volumes (with a ruler or marked stick is usually easiest), and try to get a handle on your boil-off rate so that you can hit your target next time. But, adding water at the end is ok if it's sanitized. This usually means boiling it for a 10-20 min and letting it cool.

i measured the pre boil volume according to the recipe. i think my burner was going too high or i measured wrong. i did boil the additional water first , then cool. i started with 29 quarts of water and boiled for 90 minutes. Edwort's recipe didn't say how long to boil for, maybe it was only supposed to be 60?

Yah, the standard boil is 60 minutes, that is more than likely where your problem lies.

If you haven't, just take a grav reading, topp off to 5 gallons, then use beersimth, or whatever software you have to use the dillution tool to calculate the new OG based on the amount og top off water.... .25 gallons won't really be that much.

based on my hydrometer readings, i ended up with 1.051 at 60 F. that is after adding the addtional water to bring the finished volume to 5.5 gallons. do you guys think this will affect the end product? or should i just relax, not worry, and have a homebrew?

yes sir, relaxing by the fire now. very happy to be brewing without syrup and powder, by the way, what the hell is that barnyard smell in the mash tun? it smells great in the kettle, but like a stable in the mash tun!

yes sir, relaxing by the fire now. very happy to be brewing without syrup and powder, by the way, what the hell is that barnyard smell in the mash tun? it smells great in the kettle, but like a stable in the mash tun!

If you left the grains in the tun for a length of time, as they began to cool lactobacillus, and other beasites began taking hold, a your grain is/was rapidly rotting, or more like souring....

It's normal...but that's kinda why you don't wanna leave grains in your mashtun over night unless you are sour mashing.

Back