Filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I do anything like filtering is when I pour my wort & top off water through my fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. Gets the gunk out,& aerates it all real nice. Filtering home brew to me would be a no-no for bottle carbonating/maturing. Don't wanna filter the yeast out...!

Only if air or oxygen were introduced at the time. Most filtering (after fermentation) is done "in-line" or "contained".

I have an inline filter. Everything gets flooded with CO2 before the beer gets pushed through into the second keg. I've only used it a couple of times, but see no reason to expect any exposure to air.

Filtering home brew to me would be a no-no for bottle carbonating/maturing. Don't wanna filter the yeast out...![/FONT]

Not a problem if the filter is at or above about 3 micron absolute, or if you add yeast back. The two largest bottle conditioning domestic breweries are Boulevard and Sierra Nevada. The former filters the beer and the later centrifuges it. They both add yeast back.

I have a 5 micron and a 1 micron. Yes, I know that these will not filter out all the yeast which is fine. I run almost all my brews through the 5 micron now to elliminate the large "chunks".

I purge the line + filter + receiving keg with CO2. My brews never see open exposed air if I can help it and I can close seal transfer it from keg to keg (I ferment in kegs.)

So, No I have not oxodized my beers when filtering. :mug:

I have an inline filter. Everything gets flooded with CO2 before the beer gets pushed through into the second keg. I've only used it a couple of times, but see no reason to expect any exposure to air.

so both kegs are purged with CO2 prior?
Isnt there a chance of air getting in after purging? Or do you slowly leak out CO2 while the liquid enters the second keg?

so both kegs are purged with CO2 prior?
Isnt there a chance of air getting in after purging? Or do you slowly leak out CO2 while the liquid enters the second keg?

The keg into which the beer is being filtered is purged with CO2 as is the filter assembly itself and beer lines. Basically I hook up two empty kegs, then push CO2 through everything. Then the keg to be filtered is connected, and the filtering process begun. Yes, you pull the relief valve on the filling keg periodically to ensure beer keeps flowing.

Back