Black freezer worth extra $60?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
Going to start a keezer and I am going for something like the 'Black Sunshine' that electrichead posted-which is I think the bees knees - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/black-sunhsine-my-keezer-build-lots-pics-221572/ - and am wondering if starting with a black freezer versus painting one is worth the extra $60. Looking at a Holiday 7 cu. at 189 versus the frigidaire 7.2 at 249, both at Lowes.

Have been scouring CL and have not had any luck finding a good sized chest freezer that's not dented beyond what I would feel comfortable w/ in the house, which is why I'm going to the keezer vs. my current kegerator anyway.
SWMBO acceptance factor is importatant on this one.:mug:

Anyway, just seeking input from those who already painted one and how they felt the finished product met their expectations.

TIA

I painted my 10cf freezer black, and after 3 cans of $5 appliance paint, I'd say it looks "ok". I got the job done, but it could use another coat and it seems to scratch off rather easily on the corners. So, for $30 I'd say I could of gotten a decent covering. I'm pretty particular though, and everyone else who's seen it (including my gf who approved it to be in the kitchen) thinks it looks great.

I love it though, considering I got the freezer for $50 off craigslist. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/finished-my-keezer-weekend-262888/

I painted mine with appliance paint; it turned out pretty good. If I had a do over I would just spring for the extra sixty bucks,because, I spent about twenty five on paint and a couple of hours of my time. So, I think its really a wash financially, you might as well have it professional from the factory.

Factory paint jobs are far nicer IMO. However you are comparing different brands/models which makes comparison somewhat off. $60 to not have over-spray, breathing in the droplets of paint, etc. is a deal.

Both freezers seem to have been utilized for this purpose with positive results, so the comparison, while not apples and oranges, I'll admit, may be more along the lines of different strains of apples.;^)
They seal strip was a concern and, to a lesser degree, overspray.
Will probably see this weekend if the black Frigidaire can be had at any type of discount.
HHGregg had it for 239 a week ago and now it's 269 there, so it seems there are fluctuations price wise.
Thanks for the input!

While I sprayed a 21 cu ft side by side fridge (little larger) it took me $35 in spray paint and the time to do it. If I had been able to find a black model for $60 more I would have gone that route.

oem paint is always going to be better. i have a free fridge i painted that was a PITA in terms of time, money, effort. i would have gladly paid $100 for a black fridge.

I bought two black freezers new, the smudge and look like crap all the time. Not at all impressed with the factory paint.

_

Is it worth the extra money? No. But I needed a black fridge so the SWMBO would allow it into the family room downstairs. So....I paid it. I wouldn't paint one. And really, if 60 buxs gets you want you want. Go for it.

$99.95>60...so that puts me over the edge towards new;^)

Thanks all for the input...if we survive Irene;^), I'll pick up the black Frigidaire.

The same issues exists with the Kenmore 8.8 at Sears. The white is significantly cheaper, for no good reason. I went with black from the factory. To me, it just looks better (even though I have white appliances, I have a black wine fridge and think it'll end up in another room anyway).

Sears Black while a bit more, is also larger. Price difference between white and black is $36...

kenmore-black-8-8-cu-ft-chest-freezer-1694.jpg

It's what I bought...
mine...

That kenmore looks like a great deal for a couple more bucks...and from the pics looks just like a larger frigidaire,which I like and has been well received.
Thanks for the heads up there

Without a doubt pay the sixty bucks. I did a white chest freezer a couple years ago, $30 in paint, an unknown amount in time, and it still looks like crap. The home done paint never compares to factory jobs. I'd say suck it up and avoid the extra time and aggravation.

HHGreg has the 7.2 cu. ft. on sale for 239 vs the Kenmore 8.8 at Sears for 287...choices choices...I think I kind of want a smaller footprint-the 7.2 is 6" less width wise-but that extra space for aging/storing would be nice...

I agree with everyone that said to spend the extra $60. I went through 3 cans of spray, and it still doesn't look that great. I'm about to buy some more paint to try another coat. I would've gladly spend an extra $60 to not have to deal with this crap.

You need someone to disagree with everyone else here ... Me !

I did NOT use a spray paint, this may explain why I disagree with all the people above. I used rustoleum "painter's touch" paint, in colonial red. You have other colors available, including black. I simply used a cheap roller. Very happy with the result, no spray=no mess. I applied 3 layers, 4 hours apart. It was very easy to apply. After the first layer, I was a little bit worried because it did not cover well the white from the fridge. But after 3 layers, it was perfect.

I actually just got done using Rustoleum's appliance spray. It's not bad, used a little over one can, so about $10 total. I probably would pay the extra $60, but painting also works just fine.

For most paints if you want to get proper adherence of your new topcoat color, you have to spend significant time on surface preparation, That likely means sanding to allow mechanical adhesion of the paint, unless you can ascertain what is already there in hopes of getting a chemical bond. It doesn't take much time with a sander before $60 looks like a bargain! Even after that time, it is hard to match the spraying skills of the factory and not end up with surface irregularities like drips or sags. If you care enough about how it looks to paint it, it sounds like the extra $60 is probably worth it to have it done professionally

used a too wide salvaged 12" supply of wood...probably do a new narrower one later this winter.

DSC01296.jpg

Back