very hoppy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I made a partigyle off of a barleywine...just tossed in hops as it boiled to get rid of what extras I had.......it is HOPPY and bitter. I KIND of like it but it is pretty harsh. will it mellow with age?

There is far too little information in this post to answer with any degree of accuracy. However, some bitterness will mellow with age, some will not. Harsh bitterness is typically the result of poor water chemistry. That type of bitterness will not mellow. If it is a bitterness that isn't "harsh" (and I describe "harsh" as astringent), will mellow given cold aging.

There is far too little information in this post to answer with any degree of accuracy. However, some bitterness will mellow with age, some will not. Harsh bitterness is typically the result of poor water chemistry. That type of bitterness will not mellow. If it is a bitterness that isn't "harsh" (and I describe "harsh" as astringent), will mellow given cold aging.
funny thing...My son was here today and asked to try a beer he hadn't had yet.. I only had these down here. I threw two in the freezer and a 22 ozer in the cooler. The ones in the freezer froze in minutes somehow.. we poured em and left some slush inthe bottles and they were extrememly bitter....I just remembered the 22 and popped it open and it is NOT NEAR as bitter... these will go in storage for a few weeks then I will properly chill a few to try rather than the rush like today. I just remembered this had orange peel added to it in secondary... that may be a TOUCH of what I am tasting.

Back