Lack of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo...my latest venture led me into the wondrous world of stouts; my most recent being a re-work of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/, substituting the Cluster hops for Brewer's Gold (LHBS was out of Cluster).

Long story short, I'm sitting on week 5 since brew day, bottles have sat for 2 weeks with carbonation drops, and the level of carbonation seem more akin what one would see in a natural ale...hardly any! :confused:

Brewed as directed, went from 1.053>1.018 in 2 weeks time, secondary for 1 week, then bottled & conditioned in 68F for 2 weeks. I notice there's hardly any sediment (though it's hard to tell with a massively dark stout...). Any ideas? Lack of yeast? Too cold during conditioning? Moon in the 3rd phase with Jupiter?

i blame the moon. chances are you either haven't waited long enough (another week minimum) or you didn't add enough carbonation drops. either way its to late to do anything now.

All of my brews were coming out flat. My issue turned out to be temperature. I kept the bottles on the floor of my 64F basement and wondered why I had flat beer. I think the yeast was going to sleep. Now I wrap freshly bottled beer in an electric blanket for a few weeks. Everything since has been coming out perfectly carbonated.

Back