Need to remove labels on bottled brews!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I've never taken the labels off of a bottle before, but I'm entering a few in a local competition so they need to be bare. Problem is the beer is still in the "priming" stage. If I soak these bottles in hot water with some oxyclean or something will it give the beer off flavors? Will it speed up carbing because that would be nice but I don't want to do anything that could harm the brew. Am I best off by scraping and using Goo Gone or something?

just soak them in cold water with oxiclean, just submerge the label. If you do submerge the whole bottle, I imagine it would be ok, but if you can stand them up, you don't risk anything

If the cap is on tight, nothing is going to get in to give it off flavors. If the cap isn't on tight, they'll never carbonate anyway. Soak them in oxyclean, then rinse the underside of the cap especially well.

Well, meant to buy oxyclean but I forgot, so I used warm water and PBW. Most of the labels practically deteriorated except for the Two Brothers Brewery ones. I let those soak over night and they peeled off pretty clean in one piece with a bit of elbow grease.

Back