Hop many cubic feet for planters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Hey people. I just got my Rhizomes and I intend to plant in planters as I'm not sure where I'll be living over the next few years. I realize it is not optimal but I'm willing to deal with it.

I'm thinking of building some planters from wood and I'm wondering how many cubic feet of soil I would want for each plant and if they should have a certain depth to them?

The latest issue of "Brew Your Own" (March/April) has an article on container growing for hops.

Good info it seems.

Hope it helps

to plant up to three in the following size box. We have been growing hops for 3 years and the first year is always the best to fill up a wood box with root structure. This is good because:
#1 You can move
#2 You get to keep all the roots when you leave
#3 You can move if growing conditions aren't optimal.
#4 You can control pest a little easier by getting the base stalk up off the ground and in the box.

We built redwood boxes that were 12'' deep x 2' wide x 2' long
these are a ***** to move(by yourself) but the first year rhizomes will fill these bad boys.
Good luck!

Have you seen the half whiskey barrels they sell at Lowes or Home Depot? Those are about the size most people recommend to do container growing.

to plant up to three in the following size box. We have been growing hops for 3 years and the first year is always the best to fill up a wood box with root structure. This is good because:
#1 You can move
#2 You get to keep all the roots when you leave
#3 You can move if growing conditions aren't optimal.
#4 You can control pest a little easier by getting the base stalk up off the ground and in the box.

We built redwood boxes that were 12'' deep x 2' wide x 2' long
these are a ***** to move(by yourself) but the first year rhizomes will fill these bad boys.
Good luck!

Oh wow I was thinking 2.5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft = 12.5 cubic feet per plant maybe I'm over estimating. I have about a 15 foot stretch of yard to plant 2 sets of 3 varieties. I was thinking I'd put one in each and build 3,12 foot trellises for each variety.

Have you seen the half whiskey barrels they sell at Lowes or Home Depot? Those are about the size most people recommend to do container growing.

I've browsed HD and I saw what looked like a half barrel but it was ceramic and not really that big. Do you know the price on these?

I scored some large (25 gallon he said) plastic planters from my local nursery. They keep them around for putting their bushes and trees in but when I asked nicely they sold me 2 for only $3 each. THey have holes in the bottom and holes around the bottom outside edge for great drainage.

I saw your thread on that, it is a possibility for me too but for now I'm having fun with google sketchup and wooden planters :)

I've browsed HD and I saw what looked like a half barrel but it was ceramic and not really that big. Do you know the price on these?

When I bought two a year ago they were like $20 per. The ceramic ones might be better than the old whiskey barrels in the long run as long as you drill holes in the bottom.

Here's what I've come up with
3360733811_e73fcf356d.jpg

3361551036_f90ccefca3.jpg

2'x2'x2'. I've reduced it to 2 cuts. 1' 8" lengths of 2x4 and 2'x2'x1/2" plywood. That's a little less than 8 ft^3.

Do you have any worries about moisture eating away at the wood? That's still a lot of moisture for treated lumber, IMO.

I do, I'm really not sure what I'm doing. I've never really done anything like this before so I'm kind of winging it.

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest solution. I found some really big plastic pots at Agway today but they are $25 each. I guess I should just plant them in the ground and if I ever need to move just cut a rhizome and bring it with me...

I went over to home depot this weekend and bought an 18 gallon plastic tub with handles for about 6 bucks. I then drilled about 50 small holes in the bottom. I've got a chinook planted with a mix of potting soil and a compost/mulch mix. Anyone know how long before this thing sprouts? Its about 80 out right now.

Thanks marley, I was thinking something like that might work but are these plants going to outgrow that?

I think I have permission to dig up the lawn so I may just go with that. I have 2 plants each of 3 varieties.

Back