Is this a decent cream ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
This is a half boil extract cream ale recipe I just made, does it look okay?

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast London Ale
Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 19.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14-24
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 0

Extracts:

LME pale - 3.3lbs
LME pilsner - 2lbs

Hops:

Williamette - 1.25 oz - at 15 mins (or with 45 mins remaining)
williamette - 1.00 oz - at 55 mins ( or with 5 mins remaining)

Yeast:

Wyeast London Ale

Comments and suggestions?! :)

I think most would not call that a cream ale, but it will be a good beer.

I have been looking for a cream ale recipe for about 3 hours now on google and here and can not find an extract recipe? what makes a cream ale? does anyone have any recipes they would be willing to share? :)

call it cream ale if you want to. it will be good don't worry. this forum have lots of cream ale recipes biermuncher's is very good. good brewing!

I would not use an English strain of yeast, but rather an American strain with a clean (low esters) profile, like WLP001 or US05. I'm not sure how to do this in an extract batch, but usually there is some flaked corn in cream ales.

Cream ale is a traditional American beer brewed in response to the light colored lagers the German immigrants were brewing. 6 row and corn, corn sugar with cluster hops maybe noble hops. Light refreshing beer highly carbonated and served cold. Little hop aroma. Will be difficult without mashing. Some used lager yeast at cool ale temps. Or ale yeast fermented as cool as possible to get a clean lager like beer.

Here, it's my go-to Easy Cream Ale - I can brew this in about an hour and a half:

steep for 15-20 min or so @ 150:
2oz carafoam
2oz crystal 10

boil:
3.3# briess LME - 60min
0.5# corn sugar - 15min
3.3# briess LME - 10min

1.75oz hallertauer - 60min
0.25oz citra - 60min
0.25oz hallertauer - 20min
0.25oz citra - 5min

ferment with s-04 as cool as you can get. ideally 60-65F, max 68F. Cold-crash if you can to get it nice and clear quickly.

OG 1.049
FG 1.012
ABV 4.85%
IBU: 22
Colour: 4.5
5.5 gallon batch, you can do a partial boil, full boil, whatever you want. I think the last time I made it I boiled 2 or so gallons and topped up to the proper OG. Didn't want to mess with the wort chiller so topped up with cold water to cool down to 80F quickly, and then left overnight before pitching.

It's a crowd pleaser for sure. "You MADE this? This is ****ing DELICIOUS!" It's never met a man who didn't like it. Don't be afraid of the hallertauer/citra combo.

(typing this out made me remember where the hell I got left with 0.5oz of citra - thanks!)

I have been looking for a cream ale recipe for about 3 hours now on google and here and can not find an extract recipe? what makes a cream ale? does anyone have any recipes they would be willing to share? :)
I'm a big fan of cream ales. A cream ale (almost) always has corn - aka flaked maize. The thing about corn is you have to mash it. So you are looking at a partial mash to be the most true to style.

The most popular recipe on the forum is this one - it is all grain but if you look through the comments some people have translated it to extract.
This is my recipe and I've made it 3 times, people love it.

Generally you want to use a clean yeast like 1056. White labs makes a cream ale blend yeast that I've never tried.

I'm curious if you are set up to do a partial mash. If not, you could steep some (maybe 0.75 lbs) of Crystal 10L for 30 minutes before the boil and then just do extract. Edit: I just noticed the recipe above, it looks great and does exactly this. Adding the sugar like he does is a good way to dry out the beer and accomplishes to an extent what the corn would do.

With a cream ale, color is important. I'd recommend adding at least half the extract after the boil. This will keep it light.

dude i dunno what i was thinking that is a cream ale.
im an idiot don't pay attention to me ha ha
i think maybe i meant it was a.bit bigger than to be expected for cream ale but im still sure id drink it

Northern Brewer's Cream Ale is good and is consistently one of their best selling kits. I'd start there, you can get the recipe from the website.

Brewers best cream ale is very good. I made it with bb vanilla beans, 1 in the boil, 1 in the secondary, and 2 soaked in vodka for about a week then the vodka added at bottling.

I second this ^^ . Brewer's Best American Cream Ale is great plus I steeped about 1 lb of cracked white wheat into the water before starting the boil. It turned out amazing. The batch includes corn sugar which i believe is common in many cream ales.

Back