Hop Shortage, Blessing in Disguise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I think the hop shortage may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Because of the shortage there is avid interest in homegrown hops; people are trying new hop varieties they may never have tried before; new sources for hops are being found; alternative bittering and flavoring agents are being discussed seriously; renewed attention is being given to lower-IBU styles; and we've all learned a thing or two about market forces and the brewing industry.

Not every development is welcome (i.e., poor quality South American Cascades), but for the most part all these things are good things, in my opinion.

As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Brew on!

:mug:

I have thought on this as well, in particular the return for many to less extreme hop styles. The fuel prices and the effects from that share some of these characteristics. I believe to a degree it will help renewed interest in local produce, which I feel is at the heart of what many refer to as 'Organic'.

I have also considered growing some grains, just to maintain viable, acclimated seed stock if availability should at some point of Barley or Wheat were to become low.

I agree. Beer styles as we know them evolved partly because of water quality, ingredient availability, storage stability, and cultural factors. Each new development brings a new kind of beer to the table.

I still have to figure out if Inulin can be fermented? Does anyone know? I have probably 60 lbs of Jerusalem Artichoke still in the ground. I have read about bacterial fermentation, but have no clue how I'd proceed. Ahh doh, I forgot, Lacto will do the job (thanks Phil!).

You know, I might just try this! :D

Beerthoven said:
I think the hop shortage may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Because of the shortage there is avid interest in homegrown hops; people are trying new hop varieties they may never have tried before; new sources for hops are being found; alternative bittering and flavoring agents are being discussed seriously; renewed attention is being given to lower-IBU styles; and we've all learned a thing or two about market forces and the brewing industry.

Not every development is welcome (i.e., poor quality South American Cascades), but for the most part all these things are good things, in my opinion.

As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Brew on!

:mug:

I recently talked with the guy at my local home brew store, he told me that in a normal year they sell between 300 and 400 rhyzomes, this year they had orders for over 2000. So lots of home grown hops are in the future for us brewers.

I agree completely. Sometimes the best way to improve is to tear it all down and start over. And when the economy finally collapses, we can get back to local economies and a true free market system. The human spirit is alive and well! :mug:
Sorry, I digress...

Chris

On the pro side, the Spring Beer & Wine fest looks like it will be less than 20% IPAs. There are styles listed that I've never seen at a fest before. A Belgian Brown? Over a third of the breweries bringing a dark ale? I remember major fests where the were only one or two dark ales.

I am gong to brew an IIPA for a fest, people are going to cry when they see that it has over 100 ibus, they will bemoan the wast of hops.

I would like to try some of those Chinese hops you hear about. Totally new flavours! If they were ever likely to be imported, now's the time.

Brew sours, you don't need much hops for these and because you're basically only doing bittering additions, so the variety doesn't really matter much. My last one: total 1/2 oz of Galena = $1.75. Not bad for one batch of beer. :D
Or Berliner Weiss's, ~5 IBU's! Much more and you actually inhibit the Lactobacillus and the beer won't be as tart(my understanding anyway).

I'm all for trying other bittering agents, plus I also think that this shortage is helping kick start the "hobbyist" hop grower, and why not? I think they are cool-looking plants and you can make beer with them too!

Back