Online stores you've used and trust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migo

Reaction score
Im new to this and don't have a local store. Most the online stores I've found seem incomplete and in disrepair and one wonders if anyone is even paying attention to them. Anyone here have some that they recommend?

Austin Homebrew Supply. I use it almost exclusively. Great flat shipping rate, great customer service, fast shipping, good selection, etc., etc. The guy who owns (I think? Maybe he just manages it?) AHS, who goes by the username "Forrest", is a regular around here too, and will often give special offers to HomebrewTalk members.

I'll use other places once in awhile, but only if the cost savings are phenomenal or AHS doesn't have what I'm looking for. Viable alternatives that I've had good luck with include Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer.

The general list is:
Austin Home Brew
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
Beer Beer and More Beer

It seems to be less popular but I've had good luck with
The Grape and Granary

Craig

Northern Brewer has been good to me so far. The site itself is really nice and well organized. Everything always arrives incredibly fast, and they boast a flat shipping fee. I try not to shop anywhere else (though I occasionally need to go scrounging elsewhere for hops).

I have had no problems at all with either Northern Brewer or Austin Homebrew. I recommend both.

Evan! said:
Austin Homebrew Supply. I use it almost exclusively. Great flat shipping rate, great customer service, fast shipping, good selection, etc., etc. The guy who owns (I think? Maybe he just manages it?) AHS, who goes by the username "Forrest", is a regular around here too, and will often give special offers to HomebrewTalk members.

I'll use other places once in awhile, but only if the cost savings are phenomenal or AHS doesn't have what I'm looking for. Viable alternatives that I've had good luck with include Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer.
I am the owner of Austin Homebrew. I am striving to have the best homebrew store so let me know if there is anything I can do. If you find "phenomenal cost savings" or if there is something you need that I don't carry let me know about it.

Thanks for the continued support.
Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Morebeer.com
austinhomebrew.com

Both have been great for me. Morebeer has free shipping on a bunch of stuff too.

-Ron

Morebeer
Austin Homebrew Supply
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies

HEY Forrest... where is the March 08 Anniversary Sale!!??

Being in Chicago, Midwest has been the best. They use Fedex instead of UPS, so I can receive Saturday deliveries, and my yeast never arrives frozen or with any issues. I ordered a kit from Northern once, their Honey Kolsch, and the yeast packet was frozen, as well as the pound of honey. I just brewed it and I don't think it'll be an issue, but I consider myself lucky that the yeast survived.

I think the best thing you can do is try ones that you think look good and if you have a bad experience, post about it.

The Pol said:
Morebeer
Austin Homebrew Supply
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies

HEY Forrest... where is the March 08 Anniversary Sale!!??

We have our anniversary sale once a year and it is in May.

good to know. i'll have to keep a close eye on the site in May..lol

+1 for Austin Homebrew. I've ordered a few things from there and have pestered them with questions through email. I've yet to be disappointed.

I also like Midwest and Northern Brewer.

I really like Midwest, but have also had good experiences with Homebrew Heaven. Northern Brewer is ok as well, although they tend to be a bit on the pricey side lately (at least for the stuff I have been comparison shopping for).

I just placed my first order with Austin Homebrew, and will report back how that went.

Just started using Austin Homebrew and all I can say is WOW! Ordered on Monday and recieved my order in KC on Wednesday. Everything was packed up nice and the instructions were perfectly detailed. They beat the prices at my LHBS and the 6.99 shipping is less than what it would cost me to drive there anyway. Forrest you have a new regular customer. Thanks!:mug:

+1 for AHS! Of course i can drive there whenever without a problem but it's great to order something and have it the next day if i don't want to drive to austin. Even at the store those guys are extremely helpful and willing to answer all your questions. The only thing i would like to see from AHS (only a suggestion Forrest) is kits for moving from extract or PM to AG. Hopefully something to see from them in the future!

I've used several of them, but use Midwestsupplies.com because they will make me a special order of 55# of wheat DME for the same price as the other 55# boxes of malt.

I just ordered 3 boxes of 55# each...2 received already. ;) :rockin:

Austin homebrew supply did a great job of putting together an order for me that had a discount applied to it and non standard shipping. It was the type of order that rarely goes cleanly but they got everything right. That sort of thing inspires confidence.

The other site that did well for me was Alternative Beverage. They shipped a keg kit and it got stopped at the border by some skittish guards. They went above and beyond to convince the guard to vent the CO2 in the cornies and let the package through.

I'd order from either of these guys again, but I tend to lean towards AHS now because Forrest is a vendor here, gives us special discounts from time to time, and is here to answer questions. Oh, and I know he can ship to Canada via USPS so I don't have to pay broker fees.

I've recently made two pretty big purchases with Seven Bridges:
http://breworganic.com

I wish there was a place closer to me that stocked organic ingredients, because the shipping can get pricey... But hey, they pretty much have the market cornered, so more power to em!

Both orders arrived quickly, and taste great! :)

My current go-to is Northern Brewer.

Beware: based on some anecdotal evidence they may sell your name to other brewing outfits. Normally I hate junkmail, but it's hard to say no to another brewing catalog...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com has been my choice of supplies. Just ordered 4 kits last night as a matter of fact =D My last order from them got to me two days after I placed it. Looking forward to my next package.

Just to throw it in the mix, I have used Quality Wine and Ale Supply in Elkhart, IN because once its shipped, stuff gets here from there in a day. I have so far found their product and customer service to be excellent. http://www.homebrewit.com

Back