Help With An Imperial IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
I'm weeding out some leftover ingredients before I go and buy
stout supplies. How does this recipe look? I'm pretty the only
one who drinks anything but "yellow fizzy beer", but I'm working
on my converts.

(This would be for a 2.5 Gallon Batch.)

3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 49.5 %
2 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 33.0 %
9.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (15.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.20%] (60 min) Hops 131.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.40%] (30 min) Hops 43.1 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.40%] (10 min) Hops 20.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.40%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

What do you ALL think???

sorry no help ingredient wise, but IPA's won me over very early in my beer explorations. First time I had IPA I sadly thought it was unpleasant as heck. Second time I had myself a nice local breweries IPA.... :ban: . The banana is the only way to describe the joy I felt. Save this stuff for you though. You're more likely to convert them with the stout you might make, people seem to like malty.

Some of my favorite IIPAs have about 3/4lb of corn sugar in them too. Helps to make the beer drier so you don't have that very sweet finish (see DFH 90). But since you are using extract it is hard to say since you don't know how fermentable they are.

Thanks for the comments. The liquid malt actually seems to help it retain
some of the sweet finish - which I like a bit.

I've got a red in the works for the "yellow fizzy" drinkers.
AND their brown will be bottled next week.

BREW ON!!!!

I actually had an Imperial IPA before ever trying a regular IPA, and I loved it. My friends think it's horrible and I think their "light" beers are terrible, so we really don't agree.....
Anyway I think an important part in an IIPA is using a very small percent of light crystal because you really want a dry beer, not something sweet. Using sugar is also a good way to dry it out, but not too much sugar. Your recipe looks good!

Back