Can't resist...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil

Reaction score
Does it make me a bad person if I start drinking my brew only three days after bottling? It sits in the primary for seven days, the secondary for fourteen days and after three days in the bottle, I just can't help myself. Personally, I really do like the taste while it's still a little 'green'. After that, it just gets better.

Neil:mug:

Man, if your stomach can handle beer thats actively fermenting, then nothin wrong with it at all! Personally I've gotten to the point where I don't taste my beers until 3 weeks in, and usually don't drink em until 4 in.

I don't see anything wrong with drinking it so early, but you are kind of doing it an injustice because the more time it has to mature, the MUCH better it will be.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.

You will learn patience over the years of brewing but we are all guilty of what you are talking about.

It is something everyone should do just to see how beer progresses. It gives you appreciation for properly aged beer after you see how the beer changes over time. Even after 14 years of brewing I still take about 8oz out of the fermenter while kegging to see how it tastes but then I don't touch it again for 2 - 8 weeks depending on the style.

I was actually planning ahead in this regard when it comes to the next two beers that I need to bottle, a belgian tripel and a stout. Normally I use 22oz. bottles or 32oz. flip-tops but with these two, and probably every batch from here on out, I'm going to bottle 3 12oz. bottles and then my 22's and 32's so that I don't waste as much beer when I'm checking to see if they're ready.

I stopped pulling bottles before they are ready. The times when I've pulled too early, I get disappointed because it doesn't taste that great. Even though I know it will end up tasting better, it still gets me down a bit. I'll always pull some at bottling time just to see how things are going.

I reckon you all took me a little too serious.... ;) however, by the time I get to the last bottle, it will have aged poifectly....!

When I started brewing in the early 90's, I used crack open a bottle after a few days and back then, I never racked over to a secondary....so that stuff was only a little over a week old...now that stuff tasted a tad bit green, but that's whats great about this hobby, you do it cuz you enjoy it.... besides, half the fun for me is the brewing...!

Thanks for the replies....

Heading to sample the brew....:mug:

DeathBrewer said:
Yeah, getting a kegerator in my apartment is probably the worst idea i've ever had....but i'm still going to do it :D

its only the worst idea when you wake up on a monday morning with a headache

neil said:
I reckon you all took me a little too serious.... ;) however, by the time I get to the last bottle, it will have aged poifectly....!

That's when the regret kicks in...damn, all those green ones I drank weeks ago coulda been like THIS! :mad:

As others have said, it's even worse when you keg, 'cause you don't actually feel like you're diminishing the amount.

My solution: brew more. The more "good" beer you have sitting around, the less tempted you are to dip into the new stuff.

Chimone said:
its only the worst idea when you wake up on a monday morning with a headache
or if i put it right next to my desk. then i could dispense brew and be on HBT all day long!!!!!! or next to couch...or bed...i should get one for the shower, too.

Back