• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Chinchilla Pre-Chiller or the like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indytruks138

Reaction score
Living in Dallas can be wonderful, but with the summer heat fast approaching, my ground water will be in the 80's. I need a pre-chiller or I won't be able to get my wort to pitching temp despite my nice new 50' IC. If anyone has an extra chiller or a Chinchilla they are willing to part with let me know, and I'll buy it up.

I ditched the prechiller awhile back and got a sump pump. I freeze ziplock bags filled with water, place them in a bucket of water with the pump. I use the pump to recirculate this cold water through my chiller after a couple of minutes of straight tap water. You can get down to lager pitching temps fairly quickly and it saves water

I live in Dallas too and know what you mean about high water temps. I would ditch the prechiller and get a cheap sump pump from Harbor Freight. What I do is cool my wort with ground water until about 100* then switch to ice water run through the sump pump into the IC.

A few people have noted that even using a prechiller doesn't get their ground water cool enough to chill. Plus you're going to use a lot more ice this way.

Indytruks138 said:
Living in Dallas can be wonderful, but with the summer heat fast approaching, my ground water will be in the 80's. I need a pre-chiller or I won't be able to get my wort to pitching temp despite my nice new 50' IC. If anyone has an extra chiller or a Chinchilla they are willing to part with let me know, and I'll buy it up.

A cheap alternative would be to just submerge a garden hose (or whatever type hosing you affix to your IC) in a bucket of cold water.

I live in Dallas too and know what you mean about high water temps. I would ditch the prechiller and get a cheap sump pump from Harbor Freight. What I do is cool my wort with ground water until about 100* then switch to ice water run through the sump pump into the IC.

A few people have noted that even using a prechiller doesn't get their ground water cool enough to chill. Plus you're going to use a lot more ice this way.

I am open to this idea. It seems more expensive though. The pre-chiller looks to be $30 new, whereas the cheapest sump pump I can find is $50. What do you put the sump pump in? Just a big bucket?
Do you have to get many convertors for the output of the pump into the IC hose? I can't tell what kind of output they have.

Harbor Freight has a submersible fountain pump for like 20 bucks. I cant find it on their website, but I think I remember it being somewhere around 400 GPH.

I have this pump. http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html

The nipple looking thing on the top is the output. It comes with a couple different sizes. All I did was connect a piece of hose from the pump output to the IC input. I used QD's but you can you whatever you want. I put the pump in an ice chest with ice water. When the ground water cools the wort to around 100* I shut off the water, connect the sump pump to the IC input, and turn on the pump.

I have never tried putting a garden hose in a bucket of ice to cool the water but I wouldn't think it would work very well. It's the same thing as a copper prechiller except not as efficient. Bobby_M has some great posts about prechilling that you should search for.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

I did the search on Bobby_M's posts and think the fountain pump is the way to go. I will be getting one at Harbor Freight. Hopefully we get another solid month before ground water hits about 80.

Latest posts

Back