The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. And I expect an even further slide from Man City.
The rumors of Koscielny to Bayern aren't too pleasing though.

Would you like to make a beer bet who finishes higher Man City or Arsenal. I'll take that bet.

Never understood the the strategy of improving ones team by selling ones best players.

Would you like to make a beer bet who finishes higher Man City or Arsenal. I'll take that bet.

Never understood the the strategy of improving ones team by selling ones best players.

And I've never understood the strategy of running through managers like toilet paper....

Arsenal haven't sold anyone yet.
Selling great players is just part of the game. Ask a Manchester united fan.

No, I'm not interested in any bets with you.

Arsenal haven't sold anyone yet.
Selling great players is just part of the game. Ask a Manchester united fan.

No, I'm not interested in any bets with you.

Man U sells great players then buys great players

Arsenal sells Van Persie & fabregas and then signs scrubs.

You might as well find a new bandwagon team to support, because once FFP kicks in, city is going to get screwed, and your boy Sheikh Mansour will be nowhere to be found.

Or you can continue to root for them, just like all the Portsmouth hipsters, while they are playing League 2 sides.

You might as well find a new bandwagon team to support, because once FFP kicks in, city is going to get screwed, and your boy Sheikh Mansour will be nowhere to be found.

Or you can continue to root for them, just like all the Portsmouth hipsters, while they are playing League 2 sides.

My fav team is Norwich City Yeah I'm a real bandwagon fan I wear Yellow and green. By the way Norwich beat Man City and Man U this past year. Arsenal didn't have a victory against a top 3 team this year.

You seem a little bitter about Man City's success.

My fav team is Norwich City Yeah I'm a real bandwagon fan I wear Yellow and green. By the way Norwich beat Man City and Man U this past year. Arsenal didn't have a victory against a top 3 team this year,

So when was the last time Arsenal won a trophy?

Congratulations on being a Norwich City fan. None of us would have ever known, due to the way you defend Chelsea and Man City to the hilt. Norwich also beat Arsenal this season.

The last time Arsenal won a trophy was the 2005 FA cup.
Why should that matter to me? I've been a fan since 1998. I'm not going to stop being a fan just because people who aren't fans of the team keep brow beating about a lack of trophies. I enjoy watching them play, and I appreciate the way they manage their finances.

Congratulations on being a Norwich City fan. None of us would have ever known, due to the way you defend Chelsea and Man City to the hilt. Norwich also beat Arsenal this season.

The last time Arsenal won a trophy was the 2005 FA cup.
Why should that matter to me? I've been a fan since 1998. I'm not going to stop being a fan just because people who aren't fans of the team keep brow beating about a lack of trophies. I enjoy watching them play, and I appreciate the way they manage their finances.

forgot that trophy question was for aygov

I think going through coaches is alot better strategy then selling ones best players.

forgot that trophy question was for aygov
I think going through coaches is alot better strategy then selling ones best players.

dude....seriously.
You either shouldn't have admitted that you were a Norwich fan, or you should quit harping on the trophy thing. Cause, unless that football championship title was really important to you 10 years ago.....well...I think I've said enough.

I'm sure if Norwich ever had a player that was good enough to play for a top team, you would understand the whole selling players thing.

Seems to work Chelsea & Man City seem to be winning trophies. When was the last time Arsenal won a trophy?

As a Norwich fan, do you really want to get in a pissing contest about trophies? I think it speaks volumes about your support of Norwich that you so readily come to the defense of the sugar daddy teams.

Sounds like Arsenal is lining up some big names for transfers this summer.

Yeah, Manuel Marouan da Costa Trindade Senoussi is reportedly interested in Premier League return, and Henrique Hilário Meireles Alves Sampaio wants out at Chelsea.

Arsenal is solidly built, they need a striker though. Santi was a fantastic find, but neither Podolski or Giroud is a starting threat. Podolski is a winger and Giroud is a supporting striker, he needs to have someoen like say Rooney behind him or is better off the bench.

JMO their system needs a playmaker more than a poacher. RvP was a playmaker. Honestly would love to see what Rooney could do in that system but that's a total pipe dream. I think a more realistic top striker for them would be David Villa.

As a Norwich fan, do you really want to get in a pissing contest about trophies? I think it speaks volumes about your support of Norwich that you so readily come to the defense of the sugar daddy teams.

Ok I'll leave it to the Wigan fans to make fun of Arsenal on the trophy count these past 8 years

Great teams don't sell their best players & replace them with average players

Van Persie, cole, nasri , song, fabregas

Who replaced these players?

Arsenal is a 4th place team that's their trophy. Wenger is a great coach though would be nice to see what he could do if he could get some money to spend it's amazing what he did this year with the talent he had.

Ok I'll leave it to the Wigan fans to make fun of Arsenal on the trophy count these past 8 years

Good idea though I'll have trouble hearing them from all the way down in the Championship.

It just cracks me up how much of a hard on a Norwich fan has for our trophy drought.

Great teams don't sell their best players & replace them with average players

Van Persie, cole, nasri , song, fabregas

Who replaced these players?

Arsenal is a 4th place team that's their trophy. Wenger is a great coach though would be nice to see what he could do if he could get some money to spend it's amazing what he did this year with the talent he had.

Santi Carzola was an average player? That's fascinating. I agree they should go on a spending binge, get some great talent in there. But you can hardly knock their skill at developing talent and shipping it off at it's peak value.

Cole hasn't been much since leaving Arsenal, Clichy was nothing, Nasri just finally late last season started playing close to his ability at Arsenal, obviously Van Persie and Fabregas are stars, but they weren't gonna be able to stop the big boys from poaching those guys. Just like Tottenham won't be able to keep teams from getting Bale, just won't happen.

On an unrelated note, I'm excited about some of the guys included on the preliminary Gold Cup roster.

Holden
Shea
Diserkud
Gatt

Even Landycakes and Bocanegra are being given looks at. Hopefully Donovan is committed cause he'll go a long way for us in the road to 2014.

Santi Carzola was an average player? That's fascinating. I agree they should go on a spending binge, get some great talent in there. But you can hardly knock their skill at developing talent and shipping it off at it's peak value.

Cole hasn't been much since leaving Arsenal, Clichy was nothing, Nasri just finally late last season started playing close to his ability at Arsenal, obviously Van Persie and Fabregas are stars, but they weren't gonna be able to stop the big boys from poaching those guys. Just like Tottenham won't be able to keep teams from getting Bale, just won't happen.

thats it Santi Carzola

But you said they only got average players. Arsenal has a method, it works for them. They try to find undervalued players and build their value and sell them.They can't compete with Chelsea, Man U and Man City in spending so they try to win by wit. Yes they should be taking the money they make from sales nad put them towards the team, but I think they want to see if they could win a title without spending too much.

So what your saying is arsenal is basically a farm team for the bigger clubs? I agree

They can build from that success and I think they already have. Though they should have gotten someone more for selling RvP, they may this offseason though. A young star like Christian Eriksen I think would be a perfect fit.

Or you can be Liverpool and get one of the most lopsided transfers ever in selling Torres for record money, then blow it by signing Andy Carroll. Lol.

I think they did a pretty good job with Suarez. I'm guessing they'll get 40 million for him.

They can build from that success and I think they already have. Though they should have gotten someone more for selling RvP, they may this offseason though. A young star like Christian Eriksen I think would be a perfect fit.

I think its just hard for Arsenal fans to deal with the fact, they've become a farm team for the big clubs.

They went from this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Arsenal_F.C._season

to that.

The 03 squad was totally an Arsenal squad though. Henry was a find, former Winger who found his niche as a striker, Cole and Toure were young finds, and so on so forth.

I think its just hard for Arsenal fans to deal with the fact, they've become a farm team for the big clubs.

They went from this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Arsenal_F.C._season

to that.

Its actually not hard for us to deal with. As a matter of fact, you seem to be the only person who is belly aching about trophy droughts and selling players. Sure, you see a lot of plastic fans who jump on bandwagons and want tons of money spent every year, and when they don't get their way, they suddenly switch their allegiance to the new stylish team, be it Dortmund, City, or Barcelona.

Real fans like aygov & myself understand when & why a player needs to be sold. We never claimed Arsenal have some great dynasty that they must uphold. Sure, we want them to compete for titles every year, but with their methodology of buying & selling players, a lot of things have to come together to win in the hardest league in Europe with 3+ teams who spend twice what we do every transfer window. When those things don't come together, yes its a shame, but we still love the team & enjoy getting to see them playing in European competitions against the worlds best every single year.

I can understand why you don't grasp the concept of selling players, after all, you support a team who offered way too much money to Grant Holt, who should have been sold when he turned in a transfer request at the age of 31, but instead has turned out to be a dud. Actually, by your standards, if Arsenal are full of "scrubs", I'm not sure what you would classify Grant Holt as.

Its actually not hard for us to deal with. As a matter of fact, you seem to be the only person who is belly aching about trophy droughts and selling players. Sure, you see a lot of plastic fans who jump on bandwagons and want tons of money spent every year, and when they don't get their way, they suddenly switch their allegiance to the new stylish team, be it Dortmund, City, or Barcelona.

Real fans like aygov & myself understand when & why a player needs to be sold. We never claimed Arsenal have some great dynasty that they must uphold. Sure, we want them to compete for titles every year, but with their methodology of buying & selling players, a lot of things have to come together to win in the hardest league in Europe with 3+ teams who spend twice what we do every transfer window. When those things don't come together, yes its a shame, but we still love the team & enjoy getting to see them playing in European competitions against the worlds best every single year.

I can understand why you don't grasp the concept of selling players, after all, you support a team who offered way too much money to Grant Holt, who should have been sold when he turned in a transfer request at the age of 31, but instead has turned out to be a dud. Actually, by your standards, if Arsenal are full of "scrubs", I'm not sure what you would classify Grant Holt as.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

Whines all the time about how arsenal is being run. Probably the most known Arsenal fan in the USA.

So let met get this right people who root for Man city & Chelsea are front runners and people whose clubs will always pretty much be in the lower half can't criticize teams above them? So we lost 5 -7 million by not selling Holt last year big deal compared to all the money we kept by staying up. By the way Norwich isn't charging the the highest prices for tickets in the league and then selling their best players.

It's a great year for us if we stay up in the Premiere league just like it's a good year for arsenal if they come in 4th. Different goals for different clubs.

We beat Man U, Man City, Arsenal and stayed up this year all with a new coach. I think we finished 11th I'll take that every year.

The 03 squad was totally an Arsenal squad though. Henry was a find, former Winger who found his niche as a striker, Cole and Toure were young finds, and so on so forth.

Yep, and tbh I think the way that squad was put together was a one off. Arsenal were renowned in those days for our scouting network. Plucking unknown players from around the world and making them into stars.

Unfortunately Wenger bough into that philosophy so much so that we ended up getting saddled with a bunch of young players on huge contracts that weren't going to work out.

This meant that coupled with the need to pay off the new stadium we were and somewhat still are, massively constrained on the wage front. We may have been able to bid for top talent, but when we're only offering them 90k p/w and everyone else is offering 100k+ we usually came out on the short end of most deals.

This I think also led to a period of selling. All it took was a bit of under the table tapping up and a promise of big money wages that we couldn't hope to match and most players were wanting a transfer. Sure, we could have said nope, you're not going anywhere, but as Wenger has shown he's not one to keep a want-away. The only time I can remember him forestalling an imminent departure was when we got one more season out of Henry before he went to Barca.

I think saying we're a selling club is a wrong. Yep, we do sell players, but given the financial state of things at the moment it's going to happen. Until FFP kicks in or we suddenly end up flush with cash enough to pay silly wages that's how it is. We are definitely not solely in the business of selling though. If you honestly believe that then you are a deluded idiot.

This has been a funny conversation, but I'm out.
I have no clue what your point is. It seems to change with every post.
Piers Morgan is not the representative for the Arsenal fan base.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

Whines all the time about how arsenal is being run. Probably the most known Arsenal fan in the USA.

So let met get this right people who root for Man city & Chelsea are front runners and people whose clubs will always pretty much be in the lower half can't criticize teams above them? So we lost 5 -7 million by not selling Holt last year big deal compared to all the money we kept by staying up. By the way Norwich isn't charging the the highest prices for tickets in the league and then selling their best players.

It's a great year for us if we stay up in the Premiere league just like it's a good year for arsenal if they come in 4th. Different goals for different clubs.

We beat Man U, Man City, Arsenal and stayed up this year all with a new coach. I think we finished 11th I'll take that every year.

So a mouthy whiner like Piers Morgan is representative of all Arsenal fans now? I'm sorry man, but get a clue.

And no you can criticize all you want, it just looks really hilarious to have a fan who's team has NEVER won the PL and whose last trophy of note was the football league cup in 1985 incessantly railing on about our trophy drought. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Any predicitons for the USMNT game v. Jamaica tomorrow?
Might be a tough game.
I'm predicting 2-1 US, with a winner from Bradley ;)

Any predicitons for the USMNT game v. Jamaica tomorrow?
Might be a tough game.
I'm predicting 2-1 US, with a winner from Bradley ;)

I really hope we can carry the momentum from the Germany game. 2-1 Dempsey brace. I'd say 2-0, but I'm not confident in our back line.

A thread titled "The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread" invites trolling. I never insulted anyone or took anything to a personal level. If that's how you folks perceived it than I apologize. This is the internet. I was just ribbing you guys. It doesn't help that when I try to actually talk about soccer I am completely ignored. Anyway...mission complete fellas. You really got me. Although someone should explain to me how I got banned for "gay slur" resulting from something I posted in this thread. I highly suspect it was a sensitive member(s) who misconstrued my comments and flagged it. Yes I said 85% of soccer players are gay, but you all are the ones who assumed negativity in the statement. Again, my apologies ...

A thread titled "The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread" invites trolling. I never insulted anyone or took anything to a personal level. If that's how you folks perceived it than I apologize. This is the internet. I was just ribbing you guys. It doesn't help that when I try to actually talk about soccer I am completely ignored. Anyway...mission complete fellas. You really got me. Although someone should explain to me how I got banned for "gay slur" resulting from something I posted in this thread. I highly suspect it was a sensitive member(s) who misconstrued my comments and flagged it. Yes I said 85% of soccer players are gay, but you all are the ones who assumed negativity in the statement. Again, my apologies ...

Well that sucks. Perhaps a PM from the offended rather than a mod report and ban.

I always appreciate a bit of banter with fans of other sports.

Need some help. Better birthday present I can choose one. WC match USMNT vs Panama(i believe) or Sounders v Whitecaps 50k+ already going to that game. Both at Century Link field so no issues with travel.

You got suspended? Sorry to hear that. I was not offended personally by the gay stuff. I just called it stupid because I thought it was stupid........Now, that scarf stuff.......Well, that's just plain offensive, Mr. Foamy Hand!! :cross:

I really hope we can carry the momentum from the Germany game. 2-1 Dempsey brace. I'd say 2-0, but I'm not confident in our back line.

I think I heard the us has never won a qualifier in Jamaica. Now, history means nothing, really. So I'm hoping for a win, and I think 2-1 is probably a pretty likely scoreline.

Hoping jozy can keep up what he started on Sunday. Although, really, I'm in the camp that it's really more on the midfield to get him the ball in meaningful places, like they did against Germany.

Lets be clear and accurate about what happened. An administrator deleted a post of yours with the note "sexual orientation as an insult is NOT appropriate." You ignored her and continued to post calling people gay. Your explanation above that you meant nothing insulting by it is disingenuous and beside the point - you were asked to stop.

When you ignored the administrator's request to stop, another moderator came in and deleted more of your posts and gave you the two day ban, for thumbing your nose at the previous request.

The appropriate lesson here for everyone is two-fold: 1) no using of sexual orientation as an insult and 2) when an administrator or moderator asks you to refrain from something, please do so or we will use other means to get your attention.

Finland v Belarus, live right now!

Okay I know, no one cares. If I didn't live here I wouldn't care either.

4:30am is not a good time for me to catch the US match. I am really hoping they can hold their back line together to get passed Jamaica.

Finland v Belarus, live right now!

Okay I know, no one cares. If I didn't live here I wouldn't care either.

4:30am is not a good time for me to catch the US match. I am really hoping they can hold their back line together to get passed Jamaica.

US should do well against Jamaica, they lost last time in Kingston, but I'm sure the squad will be better this time.

US should do well against Jamaica, they lost last time in Kingston, but I'm sure the squad will be better this time.

me too. from what I remember about the last game in Kingston, it rained the whole time, the pitch was horrible, we didn't have Bradley, and played a strange midfield combination, but can't remember who it was.

Michael Bradley, while he didn't really play a huge role against Germany, has become one of my favorite players.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:

I hope so.

PS: Finland 1 - 0 Belarus

Back