Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce and Dry Rub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce

Naked Spur Smoked Porter web.jpeg

Wet ingredients:
4 cups - Heinz Ketchup
1 cup - Alaskan Smoked Porter (Stone will work too.)
¼ cup - A1 Steak Sauce
¼ cup - Yellow Mustard
3 tbsp - Molasses
3 tbsp - Soy Sauce
3 tbsp - Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp - Tabasco Sauce
2 tsp - Liquid Smoke

Dry ingredients:
¾ cup - Packed Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbsp - BBQ Dry Rub
1 tbsp - Gebhart Pure Chili Powder
1 tbsp - Freshly Ground Black Pepper
½ tbsp - Dry Mustard
2 tsp - Garlic Powder

In a medium saucepan, combine all wet ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add to wet ingredients, reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour to allow sauce to thicken. Transfer to jars, cover and let cool to room temperature. Sauce will keep for several weeks.

Makes approximately 7 cups

Here it is after simmering for and hour and a half.
May June 2007 181.jpg

You can also make the Chipotle Ale version

Naked Spur Chipotle Ale web.jpeg

Simply substitute Rogue Chipotle Ale for the smoked porter, add and additional tsp of liquid smoke and 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper flakes.

I finished up the last of this the other night on some BBQ'd chicken. Damn good stuff.

One question--WTF did you use on the label to get the printing to stay on? I swear I had that jar soaking in water overnight and the printing never ran. How did you do that?

Originally posted by Dude
One question--WTF did you use on the label to get the printing to stay on? I swear I had that jar soaking in water overnight and the printing never ran. How did you do that?

Thanks Dude.

Bumper sticker stock from Office Depot. It should peel right off the bottle but doesn't run when wet. A little spendy though, 11.99 for 7 full size sheets. I only use it on bottles and jars I'm gifting though so it's not too bad.

Man-

I'm gonna try it! Stone has a restaurant in SoCal and they use their porter sauce on everything!

Wow! Sounds awesome! I have a corny of smoked porter conditioning right now, this would be a good reason to give it a taste. If you have a pressure cooker you can can this stuff and it'll keep forever (give or take a couple of days)! Interestingly enough, the major reason I've been wanting a ph meter is for canning, since I don't have a pressure cooker.

Anyone tried the chipotle version? Given how little actual chipotle taste there is in the Rogue, I wonder if adding canned chipotles in adobo would work better?

mmm...this image just popped up and i had to investigate. i think i'll make some of this for my next bbq.

now i wonder what other goodies are in this food thread....

:)

BUMP! I'm going to try this for an upcoming group brew and que day. Any updates or changes to the recipe? And I have a Stout I'm thinking about using, will that work fine as well? It's more malty than hoppy, with plenty of roasted grains so I figure it will be good to cook with.

Just made this up today with my american stout, which has a BUNCH of roasted malt in it. The liquid smoke kind of overpowers the stout, so I'll be adjusting down 1tsp of liquid smoke, and up one cup of stout for the next batch. Other than that, FANTASTIC!!! Great tasting sauce, and I plan to do some pulled BBQ sandwiches with it later this week. Thanks for the recipe!

I made it today with some homebrewed stone smoked porter. Tasted and smelled awesome but i did not yield close to 7 cups.

Just used batch number 5 of this last night to make some bbq chicken thighs, and last weekend I used it for some bbq drumsticks. This recipe is delicious, ever since I first made it it's been a requirement to have a bottle in the fridge.

In a non-standard use kind of way - this also tastes amazing on black pepper kettle potato chips and on taquitos. mmmm I'm making myself hungry

I just made my first batch of this bad boy. I am getting a high amount of spice heat in mine. While I like it a lot I was not expecting it. Has anyone else that made this had similar results or did I screw up on the recipe. If I screwed up I want to know where so I can make this again

I'm making my first batch of this right now. Smells awesome and tastes great.

I'm using a stone smoked porter and I think I'm going to use the rest of it in a batch of cupcakes

This is my all time favorite BBQ sauce. I gave jars of it to friends and family. They thought it was kick ass also.

Just made this sauce in the crock-pot so it would cook slow all day. Damn it's good. Gonna let it fester over night and smoke my ribs in the morning for 6hrs or so. I just rubbed the ribs down real nice!!!!

I just made this up. I used Old Rasputin instead of smoked porter, 4 cups of purreed tomatos rather than catsup and left out the BBQ rub. Its sitting in the crock pot right now and wow does it taste good already. I have a feeling the beer could be substituted for coffee and it would still be excellent.

Since this made it to the front of the forums again I'm going to go ahead and rave like a schoolgirl at a boyband concert about this stuff. It is sooooooo good!

I need to make up a batch of this, now that it is cooling off I will be grilling and smoking more.

Any changes anyone would suggest before I dive in?

I plan to use the Crockpot to keep the stove top clean.

I have been making this sauce for a couple of years and its always gets great reviews from my guests. We used the same receipe except used l Leinenkugel classic amber, doesnt hurt the deep rich flavor but really adds to the overall taste. I also love to make it with the smoked porter. Just something to try if you like messing around in the kitchen. :mug:

Making my 3rd batch of this today. I make triple batches at a minimum since all my neighbors always want to take it home.

Latest posts

Back