Fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
Ok, my second ever batch is now in the Primary (plastic bucket), and since my first batch had fairly high temps and quick fermentation, I've gone to the "wrap a wet towel around it with a fan on it" method. My first batch was unduly fruity. My wife likes it, but that's not necessarily why I'm doing this. (sorry Hunny). Will the ghetto-style cooler work, if I keep up with keeping the towel damp, or is it just a waste of time?
My first batch was in September, ambient temp of about 75-80. Now it's October, ambient temp 70ish. Wand thermometer sitting on top of the primary reads 70.
Man I can't wait to get a house so I can convert the basement into a brewery....

That should cool it down some but if you put the bucket in a tub of cold water and use a towel it will work even better. I get mine cooled in the mid 60's using this method. It's pretty cool here though.

75-80 is a bit warm for fermetning but I would think you'd be fine at 70. I do most ales in the basement, which is 69-70 year round, and that's about the ideal temperature for most ale yeasts.

I got an old Dorm fridg on craig's list and instaled a temperture control switch on to it for lagers, I still have not made a lager in it but, I will soon!

Back