I visited an abandoned camp site....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
A couple weeks back I was at my parents cottage and was wandering through the woods when I hit an abandoned campsite. It apparently was a religious camp for troubled teens or something. A guy bought the rights to the land and buildings a few years back, but got diagnosed with cancer and never did anything with the site.

So me being very curious, I tried the a couple doors. Place is locked up like Fort Knox. I walk around to the back of the main mess hall and the door is closed, but not latched. I give a quick pull and bam I am in.

I take a look around, place is pretty much gutted out, there is a big cross in the corner, and a huge wooden storage box. I open the box, and a couple bats were peacefully sleeping in the corner, but in the middle of this box is a huge stainless steel pot. I couldn't even guess how big this thing is, maybe 50 gallons. It had a much bigger diameter than a 50 gallon barrel, but was only about 2 feet deep. My first thought was: I can make a lot of beer in that thing...(I am still into extract brewing, so it isn't really gonna happen) and my second thought was, man, someone on HBT could make a lot of beer in that thing.

The pot was taped shut, so I opened it, to find another huge pot, maybe 20 gallons, and that one had another slightly smaller pot in it.

I asked the wife if she would mind me "borrowing" one since it has been there for maybe 20 years untouched, and she got all religious saying god was watching and we would die before we got it home and that the beer would all be cursed.

I know the guy who has the rights to the camp, I may ask him what he is doing with them camp and if there is anything useful there, to see if I can get the keys to check it out.

The place was super creepy, but I think those pots need a good home, They were clean and shiny under the inch of dust, the wooden box must have kept them protected, The bats were hanging out on the other side of the box so the guano was a good couple feet away.

I wish I had borrowed the smaller pots, I would be on my way to building up and all grain set up.

Hopefully you stopped opening the pots. The last one is the same as pandoras box.

Seriously though, just ask the guy if you can have the stuff. Chances are if it's just sitting there, he'll be willing to let you use it.

I probably would have taken it honestly. Turn your wife's statement into this:

God sent me there because he wanted to hand me the tools I needed to make good beer!

;)

I would have been more afraid of the guy with the shriveled arm and glass eye who was orphaned twenty years ago while at the camp. Then in all of the turmoil after the tragic collision with the logging truck from the nearby forest his relatives forgot to pick him up from camp.

Now he has been living there alone for 20 years, surviving on the occasional hiker who straggles into the abandoned campsite. His only companion that mute teenage girl he keeps locked in an underground box.

Yep, your wife was right. You would never have made it home to brew beer with that ill gotten booty. In fact, are you sure you weren't followed out of the campsite back to your father's cottage? (Now where is that skin-crawl shiver emoticon?)

Have you not seen the "Friday the Thirteenth" documentary series?

It's a toss-up between stealing what is not yours, and making good use out of something that probably remain sitting there for years.

I'd probably contact the person and see how they react to knowing that you were trespassing. Maybe they will understand and say go for it. But I doubt it.

I am pretty sure the feds don't care what I do now...lol

It would have to be called Bat **** Brewery, with the amount that is in there. Or it could be called Dead Bat Brewery, since there was a dead bat on the front steps of the camp when we were there.

Latest posts

Back