Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone - #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, sorry guys... Didn't mean to ambush your thread, just inspired by your success. I will post a thread in the beginner forum later with my questions.

Cheers!

No ambush at all and you should, by all means, ask all the questions you want right here. I just like giving PTN an enourmous amount of guff because he's short and chubby.

And... if you waste a lot of time reading a huge chunk of this thread, somewhere you will fine PTN using the line about "painting the Sistine Chapel with crayons"... which is freakin' EPIC.

So... just for the record... and to clarrify PTN's now-famous quote...

He was comparing HIS beer and HIS ability.... to the Sistine Chapel... One of the most respected peices of art on the planet and thought by some to have been aided by the hand of GOD. THAT'S what PTN was comparing his beer to.... (which... if you notice he JUST DID AGAIN in the post directly before this one)

... and in the same sentence... called another brewers ability... "crayons" in comparison to his own.

C'mon... THAT is absolutely BEAUTIFUL stuff.

I actaullyhave trouble looking PTN in the face without cracking up laughing at this whole thing.

Sorry to digress but I just wanted to explain my post... which was really just making fun of PTN.

Ask all the questions you want. That's why folks are on these forums.

Ok... sorry... but I just want to make sure we are all CRYSTAL clear on this point.

THIS is what PTN is claiming is the caliber of HIS beer and HIS brewing capabilities...

And then... what PTN was claiming this OTHER person's capabilities were:

Pauls beer.jpg

your beer.jpg

Did you make another batch of ass beer, Brian? Is that why your panties are in such a wad? That's ok, you keep on practicing and before you know it you'll be graduating up to your own set of crayons.

PTN

Ps
Oh and since you like posting pictures why don't you post that "EPIC" picture of Len drinking your ass beer. You know damn well that when Babalu gets back on his feet he'll post it up for us so you might as well take your medicine like a man and get it over with now

Ok... sorry... but I just want to make sure we are all CRYSTAL clear on this point.

THIS is what PTN is claiming is the caliber of HIS beer and HIS brewing capabilities...

And then... what PTN was claiming this OTHER person's capabilities were:

That second picture still looks better than that West Coast Pale Ale that came with the Mr. Beer kit... I can only imagine that tastes about how it looks. Luckily, I don't have to consume it- Whoever's kid drew that picture, they are stuck with it on their fridge no matter what they'd prefer.

On a side note, why does PaultheNurse hate your brews so much... Do they really suck that bad???

:drunk:

Paulie has some insecurities that he hasn't quite worked out yet. Figure that twenty years of therapy would have done him SOME good, but alas. He just likes trying to knock people down so he can feel better about himself.

It's OK, Paulie. You make good beer, too. Really I mean that.

Paulie has some insecurities that he hasn't quite worked out yet. Figure that twenty years of therapy would have done him SOME good, but alas. He just likes trying to knock people down so he can feel better about himself.

It's OK, Paulie. You make good beer, too. Really I mean that.

I got your insecurities dangling right here. :p

PTN

Wowwwwww... talk about someone having their panties in a wad. Jeeeesus. I'm not sure I ever got pissy about anything. I just thought your quote was funny. DAmn, apparently someone's a little sensitive.

And that picture of Len wasn't my beer. It was a random beer at the big SSBC competition two years ago. I put it up on the beer saying it was mine cause I thought it was funny.

I dunno lastsecond... I think Da Bird's onta somethin with his response. It does seem to be a continuous theme with widdle Paulie about how awesome his beer is and how bad everyone else's is.

He was comparing HIS beer and HIS ability.... to the Sistine Chapel... One of the most respected peices of art on the planet and thought by some to have been aided by the hand of GOD. THAT'S what PTN was comparing his beer to.... (which... if you notice he JUST DID AGAIN in the post directly before this one)

Actually, I was aided by Yeager, so I think we can just toss that whole 'hand of GOD' business right out the window.

Other than that, I'd say your assessment was spot on. Thanks.

PTN

I'm actually flattered that you foo's are getting your panties in such a wad about my statement. I'm sure DaVinci had his detractors, too. It comes with the territory. There are always jealous, untalented, little people trying to tear down the mighty oaks.

PTN

Alright, not trying to go off topic again here, but we took a hydrometer reading and my brew had only dropped from 1.070 to 1.040, in 6 days, but tasted like pure grain alcohol. Any ideas, or is it normal to taste like malted Everclear while fermenting? The yeast was still active and it did not have much of an odor, but we pitched some extra sugar to keep it working.

Thanks guys

You've got tons of sugar, sugar is the last thing you need. Probably the best advice I can offer you is to go get yourself a book on basic home brewing, like Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home brewing and read it. Save yourself asking a ton of questions if you have a basic understanding of what you are doing.

PTN

i pulled a sample from mine on friday. dropped another 10 pts down to 1.030 from an original of 1.158. still a mite sweet even with the extra hops i put in. but with definite caramel/vanilla notes and a high alcohol note.

So I've lost the plot a little bit here. Is the current batch anywhere close to where we could do a little sampling at Masstoberfest? Knowing that it still needs to age... any chance of pulling a pint or two to share?

I have read through both of these threads and here is my modified recipe, scaled down in half, that I plan on doing. I changed some of the ingredients around to use what I have on hand.

35.00# Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.00# Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00# Crystal Malt 30L (30.0 SRM)
3.00# Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM)
2.50# Munich Malt (10.0 SRM)
1.75# Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
1.00# Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
0.25# Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Fuggles Hops [4.50 %] (60 Min)
1.00 oz Nugget Hops [13.00 %] (60 Min)
1.00 oz Saaz Hops [4.00 %] (60 Min)
1.00 oz Liberty Hops [4.30 %] (15 Min)
1.00 oz Mt. Hood Hops [6.00 %] (1 Min)
2.50# Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM)
1 pkg WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast
2 or 3 pkgs EC-1118 Wine Yeast

I have just a few questions on this though. In Beersmith it says my OG should be 1.209. How true to this will it be ? I set my efficiency at 65%.

Along with this it says my IBU's should be 45.5. I know you guys have debated this at nauseum. Do you think this will be sufficient ?

I'm not concerned with the color, estimated at 25.0.

I am curious as to how many maple syrup additions you guys used ?

I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy for doing the modifications to the recipe, but I only have to buy the yeast. I have the rest already sitting in my supply totes.

Your assitance and comments will be greatly appreciated.

WAY too much Victory! Way, way too much!

PTN

Nah, just kidding. Go for it! Looks good to me. The difference in hop level between U1 and U2 is still something we're debating.

Chris, we should do another side by side sometime between now and U3. (Which, by the way, will be sometime in early January again)

PTN

okay,,, batch here was bottled on fri nite. pretty good but she conked out at 1.035-6 so still a lot sweet, more like a brandy or schnapps than anything else. paul pm me your addy and i'll send a couple bottles out to ya guys.

cuinrearview is hosting our next attempt at this probably the second saturday in january. i'm thinking of dropping all the crystal grains out from this though and keepeing our hops high like last batch, our ibu's were rated at 147 but the apparent is more like 30 methinks.

I started my batch last weekend. So far so good. I started another thread, rather than steal this thread.

It started at 1.190, and after 2 1/2 days is down to 1.110.

I know I'm digging this up, but it has my mouth watering. I created a mini version partial mash that I can use on my set up.

2 gallons partial mash. I used enough 2-row to help convert, plus filled the rest in with extract. Scaled everything down by 1/7.
Hopville . "Utopia Clone (2G/PM)" Specialty Beer Recipe

I don't have access to munich extract at my LHBS, but alternatively you could replace the munich with extract and scale back the 2-row so it matches the specialty malt. This would make for a not-so-hard partial mash brew. Yum...

Back