Brewpubs in portland Or

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
I am going to Portland,Or/Vancouver,Wa next weekend and was wondering what bars and brewpubs you guys might recommend for a first timer in the great beer city?

Which part of Portland are you going to be at? There's lots of places to go depending on what area you're going to be in. Henry's, Full Sail Downtown, The Horse Brass, Belmont Station, Lucky Labrador NW and Deschutes are all good ones. McMenamin's is a Portland staple and there's many all over the place, although some liken it to the Starbucks of the brewpub world. Rogue, Bridgeport, Hopworks, Laurelwood, Almeda, Lompac are on the west side. I just went to the Green Dragon near downtown, I'm a fan.

My wife and I flew up there last April, and stayed a couple days downtown Portland. We were able to hit up a ton of brewpubs using public transport.

Rogue, Bridgeport, and Laurelwood where a few of the Top places we went to. I look forward to getting back up there soon.

There are tons of brewpubs. However, brewpubs aren't all created equal! I live in OR and spend a fair bit of time in Portland and Bend. So here's my take:

Deschutes in Bend is great. The new Deschutes in the Pearl District is overpriced and way too yuppy. They do make great beers though, and have a great selection of pub-only nitro and hand-pulled beers.

Bridgeport is cool. The beers are good and the food is decent.

Roots is a great spot. The beers are adventurous and not badly priced.

McMenamins is okay. IMHO the beers are average and the prices a bit high. If you're looking for somewhere cool to stay, their Edgefield location is amazing. But don't go for the beers alone.

If you're just looking for a beer bar, The Horse Brass is awesome. Nice attempt at a traditional English pub. Dart boards, pretty good food, and a great selection of draft and bottled beer.

The Shanghai Tunnel is also a fun stop if you're downtown. They actually have a good selection and it's a funky place. Just head downstairs right away.

There are plenty of other spots that are great and plenty of other breweries. Just explore a bit. It's a fun town. I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back