Will astringency age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
I just racked my strawberry wheat to secondary and tasted the hydro sample and it seemed very dry.The sample I tasted the day I brewed was very sweet.I used nottingham yeast,which i've used before and it wasent like that.Could it be the exrtract I used?I ordered it off morebeer.com,or the strawberrys maybe? My question is, will the astringent feel age out?

Age is kind to everything except boobs and butts... so, give it time.

Wheat beers can be more dry than barley malt beers...what % wheat did you use?

It's probably a little more tart because of the acid in the strawberry coming out as the yeast consumed all the sugar. Wort is always sweet so I'm not surprised by that.

Nottingham isn't a particularly dry-finishing yeast, so it should leave a little bit of maltiness or sweetness.

As The Pol said, you can't tell a *lot* yet. Give it a few weeks. The strawberry mead we made wasn't any good until it hit 18 months old...your beer shouldn't take that long, hopefully.

Wheat beers can be more dry than barley malt beers...what % wheat did you use?

It's probably a little more tart because of the acid in the strawberry coming out as the yeast consumed all the sugar. Wort is always sweet so I'm not surprised by that.

Nottingham isn't a particularly dry-finishing yeast, so it should leave a little bit of maltiness or sweetness.

As The Pol said, you can't tell a *lot* yet. Give it a few weeks. The strawberry mead we made wasn't any good until it hit 18 months old...your beer shouldn't take that long, hopefully.

I used 60% wheat 40% barley. I hope it doesent take that long,I'm an impatient cat.I'll age it a month and see how it is. Can old extract or different brands give off an astringent feel?

I just racked my strawberry wheat to secondary and tasted the hydro sample and it seemed very dry.The sample I tasted the day I brewed was very sweet.I used nottingham yeast,which i've used before and it wasent like that.Could it be the exrtract I used?I ordered it off morebeer.com,or the strawberrys maybe? My question is, will the astringent feel age out?

Maybe I'm missing something, but a sample taken on brew day will always be sweeter than the sample after primary. The sugar in the brewday sample is what the yeast eats.

That said, sharpness in new beer will age out.

Maybe I'm missing something, but a sample taken on brew day will always be sweeter than the sample after primary. The sugar in the brewday sample is what the yeast eats.

That said, sharpness in new beer will age out.

It seemed overly sweet on brew day,thats why I mentioned it,and it went from real sweet to, like, a merlow dry.

Is the flavor more dry or bitter?
What specific gravity is the beer at? This could be due to the wheat or extract not having as many unfermentable sugars or because the strawberries contained nutrients that helped the yeast ferment more of the sugars. So It could have finished dryer than other beers you have brewed.

If that is the issue there might be a different remedy

Back