Can a San Franciscan help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitterman35

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me. My wife and I are going to San Francisco on vacation. I am stoked cuz I can take the Anchor Steam brewery tour, and a 49ers game!:rockin:

The catch is my wife wants to go on one of them Napa wine tasting tours. I like wine but the private limos are $$$$$$, and I'm not too keen on sitting in a tour bus all day and only stopping at 2 or 3 wineries. She doesn't want to rent a car either.

has anyone done one of these tours? are they worth it?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just got back from a vacation out there and I've gotta say, I think your best bet is to rent a car and pick the wineries you want to go to. Why doesn't your wife want to rent a car?

Personally I think the tours are a waste of time. As you say, you sit on the bus, then, you have no control over where you go or how long you get to stay anywhere, plus you are on a bus with a bunch of annoying people (I don't really like people so I'm a bit biased here). I don't think the limos are really worth it either as they are totally overpriced.

On a side note: The tour at anchor was great, but it was a bit dumbed down for the non-EAC when it came to anything technical (somewhat disappointing). The tasting was pretty good though.

+1 on renting a car. Just drive around and stop where it seems interesting. I like V. Sattui wines, thought the grounds aren't the tourist attraction others are. We stayed at a really awesome B&B called the Meadow Lark Inn (http://www.meadowlarkinn.com/) which at the time was run by a gay German couple. It wasn't a "gay retreat" or anything, but the hot tub was clothing optional. Oh well, when in Rome...

There's a number of good wineries right near Healdsburg. Drive time from SF shouldn't be more than an hour in light traffic. Not on that link are also Korbel and Clos Du Bois, which are definite stops too. For a brewer I'd also say that Hop Kiln Winery should be on the trip itinerary as well.

Wine Train. Pick it up at Napa. It runs to St. Helena and back. It doesn't stop at any wineries but you'll enjoy a nice dinner and some great local wine. Get the front dining car if possible.

+1 on renting a car. I'd recommend heading to Sonoma valley over Napa for wine tasting. They have smaller wineries, more personal, less snooty, and the tasting are generally free (they charge at many of the Napa wineries). It's the same distance, just 1 valley over.

If you'll be around, AHA is having a membership rally at Anchor on Aug 23. Check http://www.beertown.org/events/rally/rsvp.aspx

Dude, I rented a car for the day right in the center of the city for something like $28 out the door. I think it was Enterprise. Book it in advance on Expedia.

We drove up, stopped at Muir Woods for about an hour (do this) and then hit Mondavi and Behringer.

Also, if you have time, I thought the Alcatraz tour was well worth it.. Also something you should book in advance.

I can't comment on wine tours as we had our 18 month old son with us when we were out there but I'm with Bobby on Muir woods. It is very cool. We got there late so we probably had about 30 minute until it got dark but it was really cool.

+1 on renting a car. Also, IMHO if you really like wine and not just fancy chateaus and glitz and glamor, I really prefer Sonoma valley. They have some really great wines and the atmosphere is more to my liking. Both are truly fantastic though, you are going to have a blast.

+1 on renting a car. Also, IMHO if you really like wine and not just fancy chateaus and glitz and glamor, I really prefer Sonoma valley. They have some really great wines and the atmosphere is more to my liking. Both are truly fantastic though, you are going to have a blast.

I've been on wine tours in Napa valley, but they were 2 day events. You drive to the hotel, and a tour bus/van picks you up and drives your drunk ass around to a bunch of wineries. You can taste and mark down your order if you like a specific wine. What is cool is that you get a discounted group rate, and they deliver your wine a week or two later. It's a nice way to meet people, taste at a few great wineries, and not have to worry about a DUI.

Isn't Russian River somewhere out in that area?

Rent a car. I've been to wineries (mostly Finger Lakes); the people who take the bus tours, inevitably are annoying as hell.

EDIT: Looks like Santa Rosa's an hour north of San Fran. If you take this trip and DO NOT go to see Vinnie's place, I'll kick you in the nuts. Proverbially speaking, of course.

Isn't Russian River somewhere out in that area?

Rent a car. I've been to wineries (mostly Finger Lakes); the people who take the bus tours, inevitably are annoying as hell.

EDIT: Looks like Santa Rosa's an hour north of San Fran. If you take this trip and DO NOT go to see Vinnie's place, I'll kick you in the nuts. Proverbially speaking, of course.

Russian River is in the area as is Lagunitas (which is in Petaluma). Both are a bit out of the way though.

Russian River is in the area as is Lagunitas (which is in Petaluma). Both are a bit out of the way though.

Coming from San Francisco, you can take Hwy 101 north and that will run you through Petaluma and Santa Rosa. Just south of Petaluma is a cutoff that will take you through the hills into Napa Valley. From 101, take Hwy 116 to Hwy 112/12 in Sonoma. From there you can take 112/12 from Sonoma to Napa. That way, you can get in some Lagunitas, Russian River, Sonoma Valley wineries, and Napa Valley wineries! :rockin::drunk:

Sonoma and Napa are two valleys that run approximately north south (ish). Sonoma is the western valley. Carneros (sp?) is at the southern end in between the valleys and the Tattenger family has placed a sparkling wine facility their that is worth a stop, it is breath taking.

Russian River, Bear republic, and Lagunitas are all in the Sonoma valley. Also, if you do wander into Sonoma, make a stop at Robert Young Winery, best wines in the valley IMHO.

I like Napa as well, it is just a bit steep for my pocket book. Duckhorn and Foley really stood out for me. There are sooo many good ones you really can't go wrong. I also suggest a picnic for as many meals as possible to really soak in the wineries.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, I will definitely push the car rental idea, (I will even designate my self the driver). looking forward to the trip!

Even though the best reds are from up here in Washington, I will give California a chance.......;)

Back