Cream Ale Grillin' Deer Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Clean tasting brew with a creamy head, low bitterness, light malt flavor with oats
Fermentable Sugars
%......LB...OZ....Description...............PPG..........°L
50.....4..... 0..... Pale 2-Row Malt........ 37.............2
25.....2.....0.......Vienna 6-Row Malt....37.............4
13.....1..... 0.......Flaked Oats..............33.............3
13.....1..... 0.......Flaked Rice ..............40.............1

ORIGINAL GRAVITY - 1.044
FINAL GRAVITY - 1.012
COLOR - 4° SRM

Bittering & Spices
Use.......... Time.........OZ.......Description..................... Form..........AA%
boil.......... 60............1..........Hallertau Hersbrucker.......pellet.........4.1

BITTERNESS - 15.6 IBU - ƒ: Tinseth

BU:GU 0.35

Yeast & Bugs
Strain..............Type.............Form.............Attenuation
Safale S-04...... ale...............dry............... 72

ALCOHOL - 4.2% ABV

CALORIES - 145 per bottle

Brew Timeline

Start - Get ready to brew!

Mash
Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 165°F (~13 minutes)
Add 4lb Pale 2-Row Malt (22 GU), 2lb Vienna 6-Row Malt (11 GU), 1lb Flaked Oats (5 GU), 1lb Flaked Rice (6 GU)
Starch conversion rest for 60 minutes at 154 °F
Mashout to 170°F and sparge with 3.5 gallons of water at 170°F
Boil
Top-up wort to 5.5 average gallons and bring to a rolling boil (~55 minutes).
-60 minutes Add 1oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (15.6 IBU)
0 minutes Flame out; begin chilling to 68.0°F
30 minutes Chilling complete; top up with water to total 5 gallons; aerate and pitch Safale S-04
21 days Prime and bottle about 53 bottles
35 days Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew after 14 days!
MASH EFFICIENCY
75%

STEEP EFFICIENCY
50%

BREWDAY TIME
3.9 hours

grillindere-20141217_171804-64531.jpg

This one sounds easy and tasty! Question tho, if I can't find the Vienna 6-row would the 2-row be a good sub? Thanks man!

-Kingboomer

LOL, that's great man! Now that I think about it tho, I'd bet that this would go good with some venison...

-Kingboomer

Got ingredients to make this again.....

I love the mouthfeel on this beer. The head has a nice creamy texture. I believe this is from the oats.

I really liked this, as did my friends.

This looks great! Just wondering about converting this into a partial mash as I simply don't have the capacity or equipment to do an all grain brew in a small apartment kitchen. Maybe reduce the weights of the grain and the boil volume to 2-3 gallons and using some light DME or a can of LME in the last 15 mins of the boil? And then top off to 23L for the primary. What are your thoughts?

This looks great! Just wondering about converting this into a partial mash as I simply don't have the capacity or equipment to do an all grain brew in a small apartment kitchen. Maybe reduce the weights of the grain and the boil volume to 2-3 gallons and using some light DME or a can of LME in the last 15 mins of the boil? And then top off to 23L for the primary. What are your thoughts?

Its definately possible. Do you use Google Chrome for a Browser or have Google Account?

FWIW - I suggest using http://www.Malt.IO if you can... for easy calculations. If you want to do a recipe modification use a recipe formulator to achieve the OG/FG, IBU, SRM and what not to meet these parameters.

My recommendation is to use a 3.3lb can of the lightest liquid extract in place of the 4 lbs of pale malt.

Do your PM with the 6-Row Vienna, Flaked Rice and Flaked Oats. Mash with 1.3 gallons at about 163F to hit 152F. Mash 60 minutes. Then sparge with 3/4 of gallon at 170F. Once you have the wort at 180F, kill the heat, add your 3.3lbs of light extract, and mix well. Then top off to 5.5 gallons for a full boil to use the same 60 minute/1oz hallertauer hop schedule.

If you can only do a partial boil, mash with 1.3 gallons at about 163F to hit 152F, sparge about with at least 1/2~3/4 gallon at 170F. Enough to get a top off to 2.5 gallons, Heat to 180, kill the heat, add the extract, mix well, heat to boiling, add .45-.5oz of hallertauer hops at 60 minutes. The do a normal extract/PM brew cycle.

Either method your results should be very simuliar to mine if you use the same basic ingredients (substituting the 4lbs pale malt with 3.3lb of light or extra light malt extract) . Make sure to use S-04 too.

Let me know how you fair with this PM variation. - OK

Its definately possible. Do you use Google Chrome for a Browser or have Google Account?

FWIW - I suggest using http://www.Malt.IO if you can... for easy calculations. If you want to do a recipe modification use a recipe formulator to achieve the OG/FG, IBU, SRM and what not to meet these parameters.

My recommendation is to use a 3.3lb can of the lightest liquid extract in place of the 4 lbs of pale malt.

Do your PM with the 6-Row Vienna, Flaked Rice and Flaked Oats. Mash with 1.3 gallons at about 163F to hit 152F. Mash 60 minutes. Then sparge with 3/4 of gallon at 170F. Once you have the wort at 180F, kill the heat, add your 3.3lbs of light extract, and mix well. Then top off to 5.5 gallons for a full boil to use the same 60 minute/1oz hallertauer hop schedule.

If you can only do a partial boil, mash with 1.3 gallons at about 163F to hit 152F, sparge about with at least 1/2~3/4 gallon at 170F. Enough to get a top off to 2.5 gallons, Heat to 180, kill the heat, add the extract, mix well, heat to boiling, add .45-.5oz of hallertauer hops at 60 minutes. The do a normal extract/PM brew cycle.

Either method your results should be very simuliar to mine if you use the same basic ingredients (substituting the 4lbs pale malt with 3.3lb of light or extra light malt extract) . Make sure to use S-04 too.

Let me know how you fair with this PM variation. - OK

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking that due to my smaller kitchen, the only restriction I have is the inability to do a full boil (5.5 gal) on a stove top (takes approx 1.5 hrs to bring 2.5 gal to a boil from 160 F). What are the possibilities of following the full mash schedule (I have almost 50lbs of 2 row pale malt that I'd like to use) and then doing a partial boil?

I don't think I would be able to get as high of an efficiency as you, potentially around 65-75%. Maybe increase the weight of 2-row pale malt and follow the same mash directions to counter act the low efficiency, sparge with 1/2 ~ 3/4 gal of water at 170F and then have a boil volume of ~2.5 gal while using 0.5oz Hallertauer at 60 mins (add the other 0.5oz at flameout?). Then top off to 5 gal in primary and pitch S-04.

I will check out that calculator this evening when I get home!

Thanks again,
Andrew

What are the possibilities of following the full mash schedule (I have almost 50lbs of 2 row pale malt that I'd like to use) and then doing a partial boil?

You can't do a full mash then do a partial boil unless you choose not to sparge. Its better to partial mash and partial boil. You could if you want but it would be wasteful in my opinion.

I used to own a house do full boils at 8-14 gallons from my Keggle over a banjoe burner. Now that I have just an electric stove and a 7.5~8 gal pot, I need to keep the my recipe selection to those with 10lbs of grain or less. I max out the brew kettle with the sparge.

I dough in with 1.25 ratio and sparge with 1.75 ratio.

Dough-In
1.25 ratio
10 lbs
12.5 quarts
3.125 gal​

Sparge
1.75 ratio
10 lbs
17.5 quarts
4.375 gal

Net Volume
7.5 gal​

I would suggest the same for you. Either this or dough in less and sparge less. Like ratios of 1.0 qrt:LB or just do a partial mash/partial boil

Awesome, thanks! I'll play with the calculations and see if I can work with a full boil on the stove top or not

You can't do a full mash then do a partial boil unless you choose not to sparge. Its better to partial mash and partial boil. You could if you want but it would be wasteful in my opinion.

I used to own a house do full boils at 8-14 gallons from my Keggle over a banjoe burner. Now that I have just an electric stove and a 7.5~8 gal pot, I need to keep the my recipe selection to those with 10lbs of grain or less. I max out the brew kettle with the sparge.

I dough in with 1.25 ratio and sparge with 1.75 ratio.

Dough-In
1.25 ratio
10 lbs
12.5 quarts
3.125 gal​

Sparge
1.75 ratio
10 lbs
17.5 quarts
4.375 gal

Net Volume
7.5 gal​

I would suggest the same for you. Either this or dough in less and sparge less. Like ratios of 1.0 qrt:LB or just do a partial mash/partial boil

So I've been playing with the calculator and the ratios of the recipe which you posted for an All-Grain brew. I wanted something just a bit higher in abv alcohol so I converted it to roughly 5.1%. I think I am going to stick to the partial mash/partial boil option while having a boil volume of approx 4 US Gallons, looking to make a 6 US Gallon (23 Liter or 64 bottle) Batch. Have a look and let me know what you think!

http://www.malt.io/users/arm532/recipes/-grillin-deer-beer- :mug:

So I've been playing with the calculator and the ratios of the recipe which you posted for an All-Grain brew. I wanted something just a bit higher in abv alcohol so I converted it to roughly 5.1%. I think I am going to stick to the partial mash/partial boil option while having a boil volume of approx 4 US Gallons, looking to make a 6 US Gallon (23 Liter or 64 bottle) Batch. Have a look and let me know what you think!
http://www.malt.io/users/arm532/recipes/-grillin-deer-beer- :mug:

This my opinion, I would size your grain bill to your mash, sparge and boil capacity to achieve a 75% mash efficiency. That would mean dialing back the 2-Row and sparge with more water. Make up the difference or gravity shortfall with DME. By observation your sparge quantity (lb-grain to quart ratio) is too low. I would make it at least 1 to 1 with your mash ratio.

Do you have enough kettle volume to make more sparge water? Often this seems to be the hurdle for me, so have to do it in batches.

What you have looks like it would work, you could get more gravity out of the grain if you sparged with more water.

How do you like Malt.io?

This my opinion, I would size your grain bill to your mash, sparge and boil capacity to achieve a 75% mash efficiency. That would mean dialing back the 2-Row and sparge with more water. Make up the difference or gravity shortfall with DME. By observation your sparge quantity (lb-grain to quart ratio) is too low. I would make it at least 1 to 1 with your mash ratio.

Do you have enough kettle volume to make more sparge water? Often this seems to be the hurdle for me, so have to do it in batches.

What you have looks like it would work, you could get more gravity out of the grain if you sparged with more water.

How do you like Malt.io?

Alright, that sounds good. I am going to try this brew (or one very very similar) next weekend. I should have enough kettle volume to sparge with more water, in the meantime I am in the process of trying to find a cheap propane burner to allow a full boil batch.

Malt.io is great so far! Easy to use and helps out a lot with the calculations of the mashing steps.

I brewed a batch of this yesterday and capped off late last night. Mash time was about six hours because we went out to eat. I pitched yeast today around 4:30pm.

2.5 gallon batch BIAB

2 lb Rahr 2 row
1 lb Vienna
8 oz flaked oats
10 oz flaked rice - was gonna use 8 oz, but over measured
.5 oz Tettnanger (60 min) - subbed for Hallertau Hersbrucker
5.5 g US-05 (rehydrated) - was out of 04

I brewed a batch of this yesterday and capped off late last night. Mash time was about six hours because we went out to eat. I pitched yeast today around 4:30pm.

2.5 gallon batch BIAB

2 lb Rahr 2 row
1 lb Vienna
8 oz flaked oats

Awesome! Be sure to report back your results. :tank:

Just put down a Batch of a slightly modified version tonight! Changed up a few things to make it a partial mash brew, obtained a 75% efficiency. Here's the recipe (6 gallon, 23L Batch);

OG (Actual): 1.061
FG (Estimated):1.017
IBU: 13.1
5.7% abv (Estimated)
Color: 4 SRM

%........LB...oz...Description
37..... 4...6.....Pale 2 Row Malt
28..... 3...5....Light Dry extract
19..... 2...3....Vienna 6-Row
10..... 1...2....Flaked Maize
6...... 0...11...CaraPils/Dextrine

Hops(Brew shop was out of cascade, substituted Summit with a lower boil time);
Summit - pellet 18%AA (10 min boil)

Safale S-04 (11.5g pack, re-hydrated). Fermenting at 68F

Partial mash volume: 2.9 US Gallons
Sparge with: 1.32 US Gallons

Hoping it turns out good!!

Made this recipe my first all grain brew today. I have a bit to learn as far as process and organization but seemed to keep on schedule with the recipe. I did however substitute the pound of rice flakes for flaked corn. My homebrew supplier did not carry the rice. I guess we will see how it turns out. Looking forward to see how this one is giving it's my first batch and I deviated from the original, but once this is ready for the first sip I will give an update of how things turned out.

2.5 gallon batch BIAB

2 lb Rahr 2 row
1 lb Vienna
8 oz flaked oats

I bottled this batch on Sunday. I tasted the sample and it has a "twang" to it. I made another light ale in this fermenter a while back and it had a similar taste. I originally thought the Better Bottle might be infected, then I later chalked the problem up to possibly high alkaline water. Now I'm leaning toward the Better Bottle being infected. Who knows? I guess I will have to retire it and order another one. I'll check on the bottles in a few weeks and see where they are at. :confused:

Fill that sucker with two shots of bleach, top off with water and soak for a few weeks to a month. If you have anything living it the bug should die.

Get another bottle, you can get a normal 5 gal water bottle with the recycle triangle. It should have a "1" inside to designate that it's PET or PETE.

Fill that sucker with two shots of bleach, top off with water and soak for a few weeks to a month. If you have anything living it the bug should die.

Get another bottle, you can get a normal 5 gal water bottle with the recycle triangle. It should have a "1" inside to designate that it's PET or PETE.

I soaked it for about a week with some bleach in there several weeks ago. I might try that again, but it's probably cheaper to just buy another one. Two 3 gallon Better Bottles fit snugly side by side in my wine fridge, so I will probably just buy another one.

I taste tested a bottle of this last night and it's definitely got problems. It just doesn't taste right. Still has a twang to it. It's not like you want to wretch it up, but then again it's not good at all. There's an obvious problem with it.

I will retire that Better Bottle for sure. No plans to waste any more time or money to try and save it. Maybe it can be repurposed for another use. So now I have 23 other bottles from this batch to deal with. At least it wasn't a 5 gallon batch.

So, I am finally giving my update on how my batch turned out. I tried a bottle a week after I bottled it and it definitely had an off taste. I was beginning to think that my first batch was botched for sure. I gave it another week and a half and tried it again. I was apprehensive at first thinking I would have about 45 bottles of unpalatable beer, but was relieved as the extra rest time gave the off flavor to subside. I definitely would not say it's my favorite but overall tastes good. I even convinced my neighbor to have some and he gave me approval as well. Though I have much to learn, I think this was a success.

Sometimes it just needs time to mature and naturally carb. The yeast goes active to carb the beer. It needs to age after its fully carbed. Time in the fridge also helps.

I once dropped a fine mesh screen in a fermenter. For obvious reasons I didn't fish it out. Well, it corroded in the beer and was 100% disolved in the beer. I didn't get, but my beer tasted metallic. I saved the batch. I was going to pour it out a month later, I hesitated pouring the first beer down the drain. I pour it in glass, tasted it, to my surprise the beer was normal. No metalic taste whatsoever.

So yeah, time helps.

Back