New Home Grown hybrid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had myself a male Chinook that I opted to let survive the season rather than castrating from my yard. It was growing near a Cascade.

In a recent harvest I found seeds in the second harvest of my Cascades. I plan to plant thiose seeds and start seedlings. After the plants have matured to saplings (?) I will place them in buckets and watch them for a female. When I do isolate the female I will transplant that to the ground and give the new varietal a try.

I suppose it should be called "Chinade" (as in O'Conner)

Should be interesting. As you can see from the pedigrees, just about anything can happen.

Chinook: Petham Golding x Brewer's Gold

Cascades: [Fuggle x (Serebrianka-Fuggle Seedling)] x OP (open pollinator)

Something to keep in mind is the outcome of this cross will not be a single unique combination of the two parents. Just the same as no two children from the same parents are the same. Some are better than others :p You will get a mix of plants ranging from those that are mostly like chinook, to some that are mostly like cascade and every possible mix in between. The trick is to select the oofspring that has the traits you want. I actually am working with an apple breeder to develop more disease resistant rootstock. Trees are even worse than most plants as they take up more room, and it can be several years before you know which offspring you want to keep (I'm trying to reduce this step). It is easy to grow 5000 lettuce plants to select the best, try growing 5000 apple trees

That being said - go for it. It sounds like fun. Traditional plant breeding does rely on some elemnt of luck - and a lot of hard work.

Back