First batch in a long time....Extract Scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottD13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Brewing a Scotch tonight, first brew in over 2 years and 2nd batch in about 10. Really trying to get back into brewing this time, not like the “I’m trying to get back into brewing” from 2 years ago….but I digress.

Here’s my list for an extract Scotch that I worked out partially with Recipator. This is a bit of a change from the original recipe as the brew shops was out of roasted barley and chocolate malt, Kent Goldings, and Scotch Ale Yeast….wife and baby are out of town, brew partner’s free, I’ll deal with the substitutions.

4lb Extra Light DME
1lb Amber DMB

1lb Weyerman Light Munich
8oz Weyerman Cara Aroma
2 tblspoons Weyermann Carafa III

1oz Stryan Golding 4.5% @ 60 min
.5oz Stryan Golding 4.5% @ 15 min

English Ale Yeast

Will prime with 2/3 cup instead of 3/4 cup of priming sugar to get a lower carbonation so to stay closer to true Scotch style.
Primary should be about 5 days in glass at about 70F (in the house) while secondary will be about 14 days outside 55-60F.

5.5 gal boil
5 gal collected
Recipator puts it at about 1.046 OG with an expected ABV of 4.2-4.8%

Mixed the munich, cara aroma, and carafe and cracked. Chewed on a handful and really liked the profile, old trick my former homebrew shop outside of Boston taught me. Hoping this is a good mix.

The Cara Aroma seems pretty powerful and can be used upto 15%. My 8oz should put it at about 7.5%, unless my math is really screwy….Has anyone brewed with the Cara Aroma? Did you like it? What’s the profile?

Cheers!
Scott

The 8oz of cara aroma seems on the border of being a bit high for this recipe. I use 4oz of Special B in mine (see my recipes).

Recipe looks interesting. I assume by "English ale yeast" you mean WLP002 or 1968. That is what I used before I switched to Scottish ale yeast. Nice and malty.

I am very interested to hear how this turns out. I didn't start making Scottish ales until I went to AG because I didn't think I could get the right malty, sweetness without mashing at high temperatures. Are you using Laaglander DME? I never have, but I hear it doesn't ferment out as much, so I would think it would work here.

Back