Corn sugar vs brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
I have no corn sugar right now and I was going to use brown sugar to prime my bottled beer. I was gonna bottle my pumpkin beer so would I use the same amount of brown sugar as I normally do with corn sugar? Btw it's a 5 gal batch

Thanks!

They two different sugars are not equally fermentable so you won;t get the same amount of carbonation from brown sugar as you would from corn sugar. Use this online calcualtor to determine how much brown sugar to use (select "cane sugar")

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13734343#tag

btw - you can also use pure white sugar (cane or beet) to prime...brown sugar is fine too but be aware that it will add a bit of a molasses flavor where cane or corn sugar won't. That might be nice touch though considering that you're bottling a pumpkin ale...

A little less, actually. You treat brown sugar the same as table sugar/cane sugar. Try this calculator: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Be advised that, unlike corn sugar, using brown sugar to prime will affect the flavor of your beer ever so slightly. That said, it should be a beautiful match for a pumpkin beer, so you picked just the right time to run out of corn sugar! :mug:

Edit: So obviously I posted at the exact same time as Mr.Average. Woah, freaky how similar our answers were, even down to what order we said what in, eh?

haha thats too crazy.

but yea i saw someone else doing it with a pumpkin one so i figured i could do the same.

thanks for the links

One thing to consider too is brown sugar as it sits will develop a very molasses like flavor. So if you don't like molasses don't do it. I used it in an apple pie ale to simulate the taste of the crust.

Back