plate chiller failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
first attempt to use to day and it plugged so i think could not pump through it water worked fine yesterday in test run will run a test again but this sucked today. brew did have 7 oz of hops

Sounds like you need a false bottom, hop blocker, or hop paint strainer bag contraption.

Yep, you have to have something to keep the hop particles out of the plates or they will clog up fast. I have a Therminator and have to use a hop back in my kettle to keep it clean. The only stuff that goes through it is cold break and trub.

Were the hops free floating in the kettle or did you contain them in a bag / sock? How did you siphon the wort out of the kettle?

they where pellets and I was trying to pump through to sanitize when it plugged pumping with a mach pump. I electric brew so a bag set up has to be element proof

they where pellets and I was trying to pump through to sanitize when it plugged pumping with a mach pump. I electric brew so a bag set up has to be element proof

My hanging hop bag hangs agains my 5500W element the entire boil. No worries. BTW, I use a therminator and have never had a stoppage in at least 30 batches since I got it.

Latest posts

Back