pissed off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
Beersmith OG estimate 1.067 my OG= 1.065

ghrrrrrrrrrrr

very pissed.
hit every temp, ecept mash, 157 vs 154.... added a bit of cooler water, 154 after about 20 mins. held the whole 60 mins.

not happy at all. i blame the crush :)
LHBS crush is usually better the B3 is, but this time i noted much less flour, i should have had them crush it again.

i need a barley crusher damnit!

now is not the time unfortuanately.... still have $800 a month electric bills :( another month or two though, and EFF the LHBS!!!!

anyway, i will get one, and eliminate that from my possible problems with efficiency.
1.065.........damnit!

:mug::Thats nothin' I just brewed a wit with a target of 1.049 and got 1.039! Came to the conclusion that I had a faulty thermometer and did not hit my mash temps. It is a crappy feelin'. You were pretty close though I would not worry about that too much.:)

1.067 to 1.065 is around 2.5% efficiency difference. I wouldn't be too upset with that.

I doubt many would be able to tell the difference between the two pints, one at 1.067 and one at 1.065 OG.

RDWHAHB :mug:

Beersmith's estimates are just that, estimates. You have no way of knowing what the real maximum sugar potential of the grain was. Being a natural product, there will always be variations that you simply cannot predict. There will also be minor variations in the malting, in the age of the grain, etc. All of these will have an affect on the potential sugar.

I would honestly consider missing my expected OG by 0.002 a pretty good brew day.

The more important question would be what your efficiencies were.

WELL, WHEN I STARTED THE POST, BEERSMITH SAID 1.078!!!!!!!!!

now, whyen i look back, it says 1.067. now i sound like a ***** and whatnot.

guess i should delete?

anyway, why did it go from 1078, to 1067???

wtf?

im kinda lost about that.

here is my grain bill, can someone with actual points/lb respond? cus, i still get 64.4% brewhouse out of beersmith, and i am not happy about it! ( i got no less than 75 the last 5 brews)

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.76 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.34 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 16.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 24.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.4 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.20 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs us05 (safeale) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: ??????????
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: ??????
Bitterness: 73.2 IBU Calories: 294 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb

All you guys that are obsessed with efficiency need to figure it out: it isn't about getting the highest efficiency. It's about getting the SAME efficiency CONSISTENTLY, so that your brews turn out the way you want when you formulate your recipes. It's about the beer, not your mash efficiency.

And OP- if you are really going to get this worked up into a snit over 2 gravity points, maybe you should find a new hobby, something you won't obsess over. This is supposed to LOWER your blood pressure, not raise it.

All you guys that are obsessed with efficiency need to figure it out: it isn't about getting the highest efficiency. It's about getting the SAME efficiency CONSISTENTLY, so that your brews turn out the way you want when you formulate your recipes. It's about the beer, not your mash efficiency.

And OP- if you are really going to get this worked up into a snit over 2 gravity points, maybe you should find a new hobby, something you won't obsess over. This is supposed to LOWER your blood pressure, not raise it.

nah, i would have even posted! see, last i looked @ beersmith was yesterday, and the og estimate was 1.078, thats why i was pissed. after posting my thread, i look back, and it is 1.067!

i would have been happy!

and to the point of your post, that's exactly why i posted, im pissed to go from 80%, back down to 64% is all. when i was posting is when i noticed beersmith was only 2 points above my actual og, and i was like WTF????
i have been building this recipe for 2 weeks! i got robbed to get to the LHBS for other reasons, so i was very happy to brew today, and spent alot of extra time getting everything right, than i missed OG from 1.078 to only 1.065 and was pissed, then i started this thread, and beersmith is now at only 1.067??? wtf?
makes no sense to me honestly...

the formula in my sig will get you real close to beersmith values from the recipe ingredients list.

14.5 x 36 / 5g(i'm guessing here)=104.4
104.4 x 64%=66.9
104.4 x 75%=78.3

i'm gyessing you changed your efficiency in BS and that change in turn affected your estimated OG

nah, i would have even posted! see, last i looked @ beersmith was yesterday, and the og estimate was 1.078, thats why i was pissed. after posting my thread, i look back, and it is 1.067!

i would have been happy!

and to the point of your post, that's exactly why i posted, im pissed to go from 80%, back down to 64% is all. when i was posting is when i noticed beersmith was only 2 points above my actual og, and i was like WTF????
i have been building this recipe for 2 weeks! i got robbed to get to the LHBS for other reasons, so i was very happy to brew today, and spent alot of extra time getting everything right, than i missed OG from 1.078 to only 1.065 and was pissed, then i started this thread, and beersmith is now at only 1.067??? wtf?
makes no sense to me honestly...

OK, sorry I went off, then. When I plug your numbers into Beersmith, I too get 1.078 at 75%. I think you hit a wrong button somewhere in your Beersmith file between yesterday and today............

And, yes, I think crush was your problem, since you say you hit all your temps, etc.....

Err is it really all about the maths? :) Brew the beer. If it tastes good....drink it. If it isn't what you expected....drink it faster to clear the keg and brew some more, better :D

Rob

Well, I see your point, but for some, the challenge is in getting the most efficiency, or at least getting a good efficiency and being, well, efficient! Of course its great to know what you are going to get ahead of time, so you can make plans and follow them, but it's even better to spend less on grain and know that you are squeezing every last bit of sugar from them grains as you can!

Beersmith also gave you an estimated IBU. How close were your actual IBUs?? Maybe a new thing you can fret and rant about. ;)

Well, I see your point, but for some, the challenge is in getting the most efficiency, or at least getting a good efficiency and being, well, efficient! Of course its great to know what you are going to get ahead of time, so you can make plans and follow them, but it's even better to spend less on grain and know that you are squeezing every last bit of sugar from them grains as you can!
Not the way I like to spend my time brewing. I'd rather chill out, make good beer, and not worry about the little things. I get ~ 70% efficiency +/-. I set my recipes in Beersmith to that efficiency, and then I get what I get. No big deal if it's off a little. Nothing to get jacked up about, that's for sure.

That's exactly my point. It's about the beer, not the efficiency. You brew a batch of, say, APA and get 75%. Next time you brew that APA, you get 85% and you're jumping around woo-hooing like you won the lottery. Then your beer ferments out, and you wonder why the mouthfeel and hop profile is different. I'd rather have my beer turn out as close as possible each time.

That's exactly my point. It's about the beer, not the efficiency. You brew a batch of, say, APA and get 75%. Next time you brew that APA, you get 85% and you're jumping around woo-hooing like you won the lottery. Then your beer ferments out, and you wonder why the mouthfeel and hop profile is different. I'd rather have my beer turn out as close as possible each time.
imwithstupid.gif

Come on guys. He's asked about helping with his efficiency, and all you want to do is tell him to get over it and ignore it. How about helping out with some suggestions? Perhaps his crush was off, or whatever. There is nothing wrong with wanting your brewing process to be efficient.

Here's my first AG brewday on Saturday. I'm in process of learning efficiency and this thread could help me out.

12 lbs of Pale Malt
1 lb. of Crystal

13 lbs x 36 = 468 divide by 5G = 93.6
My OG pre-boil was estimated (due to thermometer failure) at 1.066 so my efficiency would be 70.9% ??

And actually crystal is a small bit lower in potential, but perhaps not enough to change the value much.

Well, I still see your point, but I'm not sure that gaining efficiency is akin to losing mouthfeel. I'm going to have to assume that something else changed in the process that did not have to do with efficiency. Lots of others are getting very good efficiency and making great beer. I'm sure that is what he is wanting to do.

Now, frankly, I'm looking to make great beer AND make it cleaner and easier than I currently am, but why not do it efficiently as possible?
Beersmith is great for calculating efficiency, but it has no way of knowing how your setup and methods perform. Once you have the efficiency you are looking for, THEN you can plug that data into Beersmith and it will tell you how much water, grain, etc.

1.065 out of 14.5lbs of grain is a bummer... i used my new 10 gallon MLT, and mashed thin, hit everything pretty much spot on, sparged with 5 gallons, and boiled it down to 5.1 gallons.

i hopped for 1.078, and now @ 1.065 my IBU is a bit high for the beer i wanted to make, no?

anyway, just a bit discouraged to go from 80% last brew, to 64 on this one.

thanks for the posts.

Well, I just ran the numbers again. I made the mistake of using the final post-boil volume not the pre-boil volume:

12 lbs Pale
1 lbs Crystal = 466 / 5.5 Gallons = 84.72
1.066 / 1.8472 = 77.9%

I'm estimating the volume too, because I wasn't paying that close of attention to volume. Had other things going on that required my attention. Next time I'll watch it close and I'll have to mark the kettler because it only goes to 3 gallons.

Yes, you have to know (accurately) your volume in order to calculate efficiency. If you have "about" 5 gals post boil, then you have "about" whatever efficiency you calculate. Getting 5.5 gals post boil vs 5 gals post boil makes a lot of difference.

Latest posts

Back