American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it take for this beer to hit its prime? I brewed it back in December and it's been 6 weeks since brew day and it's still very green. I hit all my numbers and temps perfectly but the beer is missing the mouthfeel and has a watery taste. I'm just not getting the strong roasty, toastiness I'd expect in this type of beer. I'm guessing it's just a green beer. This was the first beer I kegged so the conditioning in the keezer instead of the 3 weeks at 70 degrees like normal could be part of the problem I'm guessing. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like you are undercarbed. How long has it been in the kegerator, what PSI do you have it at, temp?

I had it at 30 psi at 38 degrees for 36 hours and then purged and set it to 11. Been there ever since. I had a glass last night and its drinkable but I know for a fact its not tasting how it should. It has tasted like that since the fermenter too, although it does seem to be getting better.

Uh...holy jesus is this good. Just popped open my first bottle. Thanks ed! Fantastic recipe... Roasty, coffee, thick....mmmmmm

Just brewed this as my return to brewing after a ~1 year hiatus. Hit all my numbers perfectly, went into the fermenter and are looking good! My hops were ~1 year old, so I did a FWH to extract a touch more.

Just tasted the first bottle of my second batch (bottled Dec. 14th). This is a very impressive recipe, and not at all difficult to brew. I think this one's become a standard with me.

Just brewed this as my return to brewing after a ~1 year hiatus. Hit all my numbers perfectly, went into the fermenter and are looking good! My hops were ~1 year old, so I did a FWH to extract a touch more.

I ferment in a corny keg. Even with foam control less than 8 hours after pitching, this clogged my blowoff and pressurized the keg to >50psi :eek:

Bled off, cleaned everything out, and it went right back to fermenting like crazy. This guy is a monster!

So Ed...I had my first blow off...
attachment.php

SWMBO was pretty upset at what happened to our office furniture...
attachment.php

But man was it worth it...
attachment.php

And it led me to a much wiser set up...
attachment.php
:mug:

Bee Cave #2.jpg

Bee Cave #1.jpg

Bee Cave #3.jpg

Bee Cave #4.jpg

brewing this now. temp was a touch low on the mash at first, but brought it up with 2 quarts of 192F water. hopefully it will hold out at that. the mash had the instant smell of awesome!

I'm looking to brew this, this coming up weekend. I have read through a few pages. Without going through all 500 posts, I was wondering if this has to go to a secondary since I am bottling. I would like to be able to leave in the primary for about 3 weeks then bottle condition for about 3 weeks. Would that work? Thanks.

I'm now drinking my second batch of this, and it's the best porter I've ever brewed....I now consider it a regular brew. I didn't secondary this beer whatever. A month in the primary and then right into the bottles. Five weeks later, it was very good, and it keeps getting better.

Can anyone help convert this recipe to a BIAB 3 gallon, no sparge? This will be my first AG and I want to try a half-batch with the equipment I already have as I'm limited to what I can boil on the stove. I am trying to figure out all of the settings to change in Beersmith2 to be able to scale this as a BIAB, but I'm not there yet. Hoping if someone can assist in the recipe, I can reverse engineer a bit....

Any suggestions on the beersmith settings would be awesome too!

Thanks!

I brewed it 2.75 gallons stovetop BIAB. I cut the recipe in half, basically, might have scaled the grist just a bit for efficiency (I scaled to 70% and hit 73.x%).

I did a sparge, though. I prepared 4 gallons of water via the primer and mashed at ~1.25 qt/lb and sparged with the rest. I guess for no-sparge you just mash with the full volume. I hit my volume into fermenter spot on with some good bag squeezing.

I picked up the ingredients for this and it is my second brew ever and I am doing an extract version.
The guy who was helping me out told me to use two packages of Nottingham dry yeast, my question is, is this too much yeast?

It sounds like this ferments pretty well anyways, and doesn't dry yeast have more cells than a liquid ( I was assuming this was using liquid in the recipe)

I also will be rehydrating the yeast before pitching, no proofing or starter, just water.

So should I use one packet or two?

Thank you

I just bottled mine after about 8 weeks in primary. Half of it got the coffee treatment, which, after tasting, I hope mellows with time. It finished at about 1.026, which is a little high, but it tasted good (without coffee). The last brew I did also finished high, so I may need to check my thermometer.

Yourrealdad said:
( I was assuming this was using liquid in the recipe)
I also will be rehydrating the yeast ...
So should I use one packet or two?
Thank you
the OP calls for 1 pkg dry Notty rehydrated. Good luck.

I'm on my second batch. Only yeast used on either batch was 1 pkg Nottingham, just sprinkled right into the bucket before sealing down the lid. Both batches have been great.

I had enough problems keeping this one in the bucket with 1 pack.I lost 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon thru the blow off.

Pitching 2 packs you will probally have 1/2 to 3/4 gallons left after the first day!!

You guys have me worried! I brewed this on 1/1 and haven't looked at it...

My daughter said it was bubbling during the first week but didn't have any blow off...

5.5 gallons in 6.5 gallon bucket

Brewed this up on Sunday, pitched Nottingham harvested from the Haus Pale Ale that went to secondary on Sat. By Monday it was bubbling well and went into overdrive Tues, slowing down a little today. The airlock outgas smells great, looking forward to drinking this, it was my second 'all grain' and I got just over 75% conversion on the mash. I'm really pleased with this recipe, looks like another winner from Edwort, THANKS!!!

Brewed this yesterday as my first ag batch. Samples tasted awesome. I'm pretty sure i had terrible efficiency. I didn't quite hit 7 gals or 5.5 for my final amount of wort ( i don't have a big enough carboy). My og was 1.062. I pitched wyeast 1056 instead of the dry recommendation.Excited to see how it turns out, regardless!

Ed,

I brewed your porter this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. My OG was pretty high at 1.070. Not sure how that happened. We'll see how far down it goes. Any thoughts?

Just brewed this.. hit close to 1.06, not quite the target but close... smelled and looked awesome... can't wait to keg this in a couple weeks... how long in the keg before its good? Before its at its best?

Wow... volatile is an understatement... it has about filled up my small container of starsan I use for my blowoff... first beer I've made that actually has erupted beyond the 6 gallon better bottle...

Brewed this up this weekend as a half batch due to some equipment restraints. Scaled for a low efficiency as it was my first run at BIAB but hit about 73%. A bit high on the og (1. 07) due to the bigger grain bill from scaling but I didn't have any treated water to top off with to bring it down. It tastes awesome going in to the fermenter and is bubbling like crazy.

I'm going to be bottling this. Anyone see advantages in racking this to a secondary? I was planning on riding it out in the primary the whole time.

Brewed this up this weekend as a half batch due to some equipment restraints. Scaled for a low efficiency as it was my first run at BIAB but hit about 73%. A bit high on the og (1. 07) due to the bigger grain bill from scaling but I didn't have any treated water to top off with to bring it down. It tastes awesome going in to the fermenter and is bubbling like crazy.

I'm going to be bottling this. Anyone see advantages in racking this to a secondary? I was planning on riding it out in the primary the whole time.

I'll also be brewing this as my first true foray into BIAB. Any thoughts on what you did that helped push your efficiency up over 70% for this brew?

I'm limited to a 5 and 4 gal pot. So I started with a volume of around 4.39 gallons. I mashed with 1.25 qt/lb for 60 min and then did a dunk sparge in the remainder of the water that I heated in the 4 gallon pot to about 165f. Then I let it sit in the sparge for 10 min more and strained again with a bit of bag squeezing. From there I combined the wort from the 2 pots into the 5 gal and started the boil.
That's from memory, but feel free to pm me if you want more details and I can look up my numbers.

I just bottled and tasted a small beer I made with this and some leftover hops. It was about a gallon of 1.03 continuously hopped with glacier. I used a lot of hops for the small amount of beer, but it's had a few months to mellow since I forgot about it. I thought it tasted alright--mostly hops, but some malt character coming through. What sort of beer would this be?

Bottled this this afternoon, it is awesome even though it's flat! I can't wait to taste it after it carbs up. Great recipe, I'm thinking that it will make a great base for Vanilla Porter. I will be brewing this one again.

This was my first Porter and I have to say Ed, this is a great beer. Blow tube is definitely a good idea. My most violent fermentation yet.

Today's report: still needs a little more conditioning time, but this beer is GREAT! I was a little hesitant to brew this as I usually don't go for a Porter, but this is worth it, I will be brewing this again... soon. I'm pretty sure this batch won't last long.

I left this in the carboy for ~ 3 weeks and then kegged it. A couple weeks in the keg and tastes fantastic. I will definitely be making this again.

I was worried because i accidentally used too much chocolate malt - the brew tasted overly harsh. But a couple weeks of sitting cleared it up. Thanks for the tasty recipe!

letmeholleratya said:
I left this in the carboy for ~ 3 weeks and then kegged it. A couple weeks in the keg and tastes fantastic. I will definitely be making this again.

Same here. Really look to make this again in the coming weeks.

image-1156634039.jpg

Latest posts

Back