bottling question - mixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch. When a got to the bottom of the bottling bucket there was a little left over - I tasted it and it was very sweet.

I used a priming solution, and whirlpooled the beer into the bucket to help mixing - but it can't have worked very well.

I'm a little worried the last few bottles may have much more sugar than the rest and may blow up - has anyone else had expereince fo this?

thanks

you put the priming sugar in water and boiled first right?
then put that in the bucket, and racked onto it so it stirred itself naturally?

that should work. did you taste any of it except the last sample?
what was the gravity at?

I do stir my bucket very gently every 10 or so bottles, but that's just because I'm paranoid. Most don't and have no issues. Which is why I'm wondering if the rest of the beer tasted sweet, possibly bottled too soon, or maybe the hop IBU's are low, and thus you lack bitterness to balance the sweetness.

You might have problems. I always stir my beer really well after adding the priming sugar, then stir again every 8 bottles or so.

I don't stir....and have even carbonation.

I just dump the priming solution in and rack on top of it...it stirs itself.

Plus, we don't want to advise folks to stir their pre-bottled beer ferociousy

greenhornet said:
I don't stir....and have even carbonation.

I just dump the priming solution in and rack on top of it...it stirs itself.

Plus, we don't want to advise folks to stir their pre-bottled beer ferociousy

I don't either but I've had one batch unevenly carbonated. That is the only one I used DME on however so I blame it more on the DME than the method. I wonder if a long secondary can have an effect on this as well since both beers that I have had long secondarys on have taken awhile to carb. Even with that, the only one that I am disappointed with is the one that I used DME to prime with.

Regards,
Al

malkore said:
you put the priming sugar in water and boiled first right?
then put that in the bucket, and racked onto it so it stirred itself naturally?

that should work. did you taste any of it except the last sample?
what was the gravity at?

I do stir my bucket very gently every 10 or so bottles, but that's just because I'm paranoid. Most don't and have no issues. Which is why I'm wondering if the rest of the beer tasted sweet, possibly bottled too soon, or maybe the hop IBU's are low, and thus you lack bitterness to balance the sweetness.

Yeah, I boiled the sugar in some water - put the solution into the bottling bucket and racked on top of it.

I'll just wait and see what happens...

How much water did you use to make your syrup? If you made a heavy syrup it may have been too sugar saturated and sunk to the bottom. Just a thought but a little more water with lighten your syrup up and allow it to incorporate into the beer better.

Back