The Single Tier Brewstand Build Just Got Easier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
I was just getting ramped up to start building a brutus single tier brew stand so I can go all grain and was about to get steel ordered and get rolling on the project and literally 2 days ago my father in law had acquired an old hydraulic pump testing table. He said he really didn't have much use for it and I said..."Well I do!!" Our job just got easier and saved a bunch of money on steel.

I think this thing is going to work out perfect! It is 6 feet long by 42 inches wide and 32 inches tall. A little bigger than what I was planning on building but hey...I guess i'll have more space to set my beer down while brewing! Can't wait to start retro fitting this beast! SCORE!!!

Brewstand2.jpg

brewstand3.jpg

brewstand4.jpg

Brewstand.jpg

Ultra-rad! have you thought of your configuration? I would consider putting the center vessel lower (inside the unit) and using the control panel where it is, and replacing the controls.

I originally wanted to build just a single tier system as I have 1 pump that could move wort around where I need. I was not planning on having a "control panel" so to speak but looking at the guages on this thing, I thought it looked pretty cool. Might need to look into temperature probes and digital readouts as well as adding a power switch for the pump. I had not thought about dropping the mashtun below the surface but that could be an option. Although wouldn't the steam from the mashtun create issues if the control panel was directly above it?

I would love to hear some more ideas/photos of other set ups before I start retrofitting. Thanks in advance!

Nice score. Can't wait to see what you have in mind. I built a brutus last fall and find the temp control is awesome. I keep my sparge water at temp and my mash at temp give or take a degree or so. However, I currently only have one pump, I have the mount for the other pump but just have not purchased that one yet. It's doable with one pump for sure but I can see that two pumps would be a great ease on the process. consider going to a two pump system.

Is the only benefit to having two pumps that you don't need to move hoses from vessel to vessel? That's all I can see. I bought all cam lock fittings so it should be relatively quick to move destination hoses from sparge to boil kettle. Maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks for the suggestions!

With two pumps you can fly sparge. pumping from your HLT to your Mash Tun, and your mash tun to the boil kettle. with one pump you can batch sparge.

I know the OP wanted to do single tier, but if he had his HLT above the MT, couldnt he theoretically fly sparge? Granted you are pumping sweet wort out and only gravity to pull the sparge water...but with a ball valve to throttle the pump, I dont see why this wouldnt work.

Back