First time fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldcambridge

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast for a pale ale 4 days ago. Fermentation seemed to take off rather quickly as I would see a bubble in the air lock once every second or two. Now that bubbling has slowed to once every minute and the foamy layer on top has subsided. Not sure if this means my fermentation is done or if I ****ed up the beer or if this is normal. Any guidance?

Thanks!

It's ruined...dump it ASAP.

Dude, its fine. Take a gravity reading. Is it close to your estimated FG?

That's the only way to truly monitor or gauge fermentation.

As stated above worry about your FG and not what bubbles are doing. Give it a couple of more weeks and let the yeast do teir job and clean tings up. Then take your reading. The yeast will contine to eat up unwanted byproducts even after you reach your FG. Do not rush things.

As stated above worry about your FG and not what bubbles are doing. Give it a couple of more weeks and let the yeast do teir job and clean tings up. Then take your reading. The yeast will contine to eat up unwanted byproducts even after you reach your FG. Do not rush things.

Yup patience. I prefer carboys because you can see whats going on in the wort. Trust me, in a clear vessel you will know when fermentation takes off.

Yep, chill out. Fermentation may well be largely done, but you won't know without a hydrometer reading. That being said, four days is way too quick - let it sit for another week or two before you even think about taking readings or messing with it.

Yep, chill out. Fermentation may well be largely done, but you won't know without a hydrometer reading. That being said, four days is way too quick - let it sit for another week or two before you even think about taking readings or messing with it.

Four days isn't necessarily too quick. It's ALL about the process...

Back