With basement temps dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
With basement temps dropping it seems I should concentrate more on malty beers since the high fermentation temp brews all seem to like more hops.

Unless I'm brewing weizen or Belgian styles, I ferment everything between 62-64F. With basement temps dropping, it is easy for me to stay in that range now. I usually keep the fermenter in a tub of water. If the fermentation temps get too high, I add frozen water bottles. If the temps get to low, I add hot water...

Unless I'm brewing weizen or Belgian styles, I ferment everything between 62-64F. With basement temps dropping, it is easy for me to stay in that range now. I usually keep the fermenter in a tub of water. If the fermentation temps get too high, I add frozen water bottles. If the temps get to low, I add hot water...

Yeah, me too! I ferment my IPAs with WLP001, usually, and I like them at 64 degrees or so. All of my American and English style ales are femented at 62-65, though. I want them at the cool end of their fermenting range.

At this time of year, my basement is a nice steady 50 degrees, so it's perfect for starting lagers! Next up is Maibock- now THATS a malty beer!

Back