Single Infusion over Step Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
The Oatmeal stout (Breakfast of Champions) recipe I would like to try from Brew magazine March-April 2007 calls for step mash, but I have never done one before. This will only be my 4th AG brew and would rather not add more variables. Will there be a huge difference just doughing in to get the temp to 154? This would skip the 122 degree step for 30 minutes. I fly sparge so I can hope to bring temp to 170 while sparging to stop the protein conversion. Although I have read a lot, I still feel clueless.

It depends on the grain bill. If you have a lot of wheat/rye, I would go for the rest at 122 for about 30 minutes. If not, and all you have are barley-type malts (2-row, chocolate, black patent, etc.), go with the single infusion temp. Go with the single infusion; it will be easier.

If flaked oats are the only adjunct grain, a single infusion will do just fine.

Also, if you can, doing a mash-out before spraging will be better than reaching 170 during sparging. The lag time (during fly-sparging) getting from mash temps to mash-out temps may serve as a dextrin rest and make the beer less attenuative.

What if you do have larger amounts of wheat or rye, would it work to do a 30 min mash at 122 with just those grains, then add the remainder of your bill and mash at sach temp for 30-60?

Back